Nyargh! Brain Melting

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I just spent the last 45 mins trying to explain calculating percentages. I had to give up in the end, as she was just not getting it.

I was trying to show her how to add n%, subtract n%, Calculate the base when you know the total and the percentage, etc, using decimals: A system I find far easier to understand and grasp.

Does anyone else have difficulty grasping why someone simply cant get something when you just get it? I find that im amazed when I explain something in the simplest terms and am met with blank stares. I know it happens all the time (hell, i can even be on the other side), but I just find that I have to constantly remind myself that not everyone can grasp the concepts that I do, and vice versa.:blink

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

ummm..... should i point out that this was to my other half? Missed that bit out.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was going to ask but I thought I'd just leave you to continue rambling to yourself :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

When people have problems grasping concepts it's usually because they lack the foundation to understand. Does your other half have problems with fractions?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah I can get pissed off when someone doesn't get something that I find simple.

But I also realise that I don't know everything and find some things very hard.

Maths is my weakest point, I can do binary and simple algorithms but anything above that just goes over my head.

I have always been a bit more hands on in life, I could programme the VCR to record a weeks worth of TV when I was 7 but could'nt do my 7 times tables.

Now

I can explain very simply what Hi def tv is and how its better than normal digital but I can understand that someone isn't going get past it when I try to explain to them the difference in the amount of pixels and dots and how it compresses them etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not in the least. It happens to me all the time. It has to do with how our brains are wired and the fact that we are all wired differently.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just to add to my other post, I had to do extra maths at College and Uni when I was doing my IT courses because I was a bit of a tard when it came to maths.

In the end I had to do an AS level in Maths at uni which was more based around algorithms to compliment my C++ and ASP modules.

Numbers come to me very slowly but given time I can work it out, just don't give me any Einstein quality questions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Fergal1982

She does a little I suppose. To be honest though, I've never really been able to get to grips with fractions myself either.

I dont know what it is, I appreciate that everyone manages different things differently, but i still get surprised when someone doesnt grasp what just seems to be natural to me. Its a weird feeling.

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been in the same situation as you fergal quite a few times. I know excatly how frustrating that could be but the more we get angry the less the other person is motivated to learn.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

SOS Math to the rescue! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Don't try m8 - if it gets to that stage, it's just not meant to be !! :dry

<disappear> :oops:</disappear>

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's often the same with IP subnetting. What makes the lightbulb turn on for one person will leave someone else completely clueless. It takes juuuuust the right explanation to make everything clear. And then you wonder why it seemed so difficult before! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have a phrase I use. When I'm having problems getting my other half to understand something, I always use it. And, like a magic switch, everything becomes clear. The end phrase is this:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Fergal1982

yeah, see men cant use that argument. women know its a bluff from the word go.

15. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I always have fun explaining print and lithography to glorified comms managers who really couldn't give a stuff about it, which always ends in me needing a bloody good gin to get over it. And as for explaining resolutions to people supplying me images nicked off the net that they want reproduced in a glossy magazine, forget it.

Truth is, both of these concepts are very easy to understand, but it's because people don't want to know as it is not part of their everyday role, despite the fact the extra knowledge would make their processes more stramlined and save them money. I imagine it's the same with you guys and users who make the same IT errors every time becuase they simply won't bloody listen and retain

I love clients, me

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah... that works when you use it on me, too... :unsure

Wait, did I say that out loud? :oops:

By the way... you'd make a GREAT instructor. Your class would LOVE you. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!