NVQ providers in Northants

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey guys,

As some of you already may know, education (or knowledge) is kinda a hobby of mine, so I was wondering if any knew of any NVQ training providers that go up to NVQ level 5 in IT/Computing/ICT, etc. Most NVQ providers only go up to level 3.

The reason I'm looking is cause I want to try for a post-grad level qual. The acadmic route is currently to expensive. The MCGI from C&G, I don't meet the time in middle management requirement. The only other route left for me to look into is the vocational route.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Do the OU do anything ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja

Thanks, I didn't even consider them. However they don't do any NVQ courses in any IT related fields, see here. They do post-grad quals, however at £945 per module and you need a minimum of 4 (totaling £3780) to get the Post-Grad Cert (PGCert), that is more than I'm willing to spend.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Kitkatninja

It looks like the NVQ route is out for me. Edexcel (BTEC) now only do NVQ's for IT Professionals to level 3 now, see here. They have stopped doing level 4. C&G's & OCR state (after searching very hard on their website) that they go up to level 5, however no-where seems to do them. Still searching...

-ken

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hmmm, i checked the OCR and the highest level is Level 4 for IT Professionals (see here, its at the bottom of the page). Link for the overview of the Level 4.

Does this help?

6. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate, while on OCR's website it only lists up to level 4 - they do make reference to level 5.

-Ken

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Kitkatninja

Thanks GBL, however I've already looked at UoN and the costs are high (granted not as high as OU). I may end up going with them in the future (they were my first choice as I did my BSc with them when they were UCN), but I was actually looking for something cheaper.

I do not want to do the PGCE as I do not want to train to be a teacher (a trainer or lecturer yes, but a teacher no). I may do the PGCert (most likely), the PGDip (maybe) or the Masters (at a push). I'll have to see what finances are like in the future

-Ken

9. greenbrucelee

PGCert sounds like the best option, good luck in whatever you choose.

10. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate :)

-Ken

11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

After reading the first post, from what I understand you want to do some studying in the field of education/training, rather than for a promotion?? If this is correct, have you thought about looking at the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development for something like the CTP or CITP - Certificate in Training Practices??

My girlfriend is just coming to the end of the course, and have found quite a few training jobs actually require this as a prerequiste. She spent ~£2k on a 2 week course in central London, but we did come across a course that was 1 day a month for 8/9 months at around £800 or so. If you're interested, I'll try and dig some details out.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

I thought Tresham could go up to level 5 due to their relationship with DMU? Surely you could work a bit of magic to get DMU to do stuff for you?

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

They need magic to get anything done at Tresham, I wouldn't hold out any hope myself. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Kitkatninja

Sorry mate, no, one of my hobbies is education. But the cert/qual is going to be used for career progression :)

I've already spoken to a couple of people and they only go up to level 3, going to have a word with another dept there to see if they do it (different dept do different things).

Don't know what you mean mate :tongue

-Ken

15. greenbrucelee

Why not employ Wizard, he is into his magic :D