Number of MCSE's world-wide

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just like the subtitle of The Lounge - Off Topic says: "Got something meaningful to say or do you just want a moan ? This forum is strictly for off-topic discussions."

I guess I just want to say that I'm tired of hearing that MCSE's, etc are a dime a dozen & not worth much. :x

According to the stats from Microsoft's website there are only 275,358 people that are certified as a MCSE on 2k and 40,985 people certified on 2k3, out of the 40,985 people that are 2k3 certified some of them have upgraded from 2k. So by all estimates you are looking at approx 300,000 people that are MCSE's. If you compare that to the world's population of 6,507,524,520 (give or take), you are looking at approx 1 MCSE for every 21,692 persons. :hhhmmm

Now judging by that figure, I don't know about you guys, but I feel alot better. So to all of thoses that think that MCSE's are a dime a dozen - think again...

Well that's my little moan for now... :D

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Ken, that makes me feel much better about myself :D

Interestingly, I am the only MCSE that I know in the real world and I know quite a few people in IT now in Australia.

If you were able to remove from those figures the people that had cheated their way through, the figures would be drastically lower :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good point, I have only met a few IT professionals who are MCSE certified, some in NT and some in 2003.

I still think it’s a worthwhile qualification as many clients I see ask if I’m MCSE certified, hopefully I will be in time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I agree. With the prevalence of MS software, it's well worth having it. It is devalued a bit (you just have to look at the people I work with to understand why :twisted: ) but I think that's partly because people love to hate MS. A guy I work with practically laughed in my face when I told him I was working towards an MCSE, yet he didn't know what I was on about when I started talking about x86 architecture which says something about the people who knock them I think.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, where I used to work I knew 6 people who were MCSE 2k, at least 4 of them were MCSE in NT4 as well.

Problem is that I now suspect that they 'acquired' their certs through less than ethical means.

Of those people the only one that I know earned it the honest way was also the only one who passed the big NT to 2k upgrade exam, and ironicaly (sp?) he never updated the other bit that you needed to be MCSE 2k, design I think that it was, because he felt that he didn't use his skills!

Outside of that place, and in the 'real' world I think that I only know of one person who holds MCSE, and he did a 6 week boot camp from start to finish on it! everyone else simply has a few MCP's and other certs that they feel help them in their job role.

8)

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so then why is everyone saying there is a flood of mcse's? if people are holding jobs with MCP's and there are so few MCSE's so then there should be plenty of jobs? :blink or am i missing something here? :oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yay, and only 20,582 MCSDs!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Kitkatninja

One of the problems is that alot of people/companies don't/can't distinguish between a MCP or a MCSE. They just see Microsoft Certified... and make the assumption that's it's one and the same. Remember when a company advertises a vancancy, they will put down want they want (the ideal candidate). Who they hire 75% (or higher) of the times will be the person who isn't (but comes close to) the ideal candidate.

And as for jobs, they're out there, unfortunately a lot of them are not in my area (I mean a 5 to 10 min drive from my house, I was lucky to get my current job so close to home) :biggrin. But to look for them you have to search on the job websites and local & national newspapers. Lets face it, I don't expect a job to fall in my lap - I hunt for it.... In the last 2 mins I did a search for a MCSE job in my county (for the people in the US it would be a state) and I aready found 2 jobs for a MCSE offering £24,000 - £27,000 + Benefits, and that just a quick look.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

wagnerk thanks for that, so are you saying that when job hunting even if you dont have all the skills and experience - apply anyway? 8)

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Zimbo, if you feel that you could do the job, then you should always apply. Certs and experience only make up so much of the application process, personal qualities make or break. Like Ken said, adverts are based on the ideal candidate, 75% of the time this person does not exist, but by asking for the ideal candidate they can get the employer gets better applicants, and like wise the person applying comes under no illusions as to what is expected of them, i.e. "They wanted MCSE, I'm not MCSE, so I'd better get my skills up to standard if I get appointed".

I'm in complete agreement with that, thatsone of the reasons the MCSE has become devalued, because there is no distinguishing between the certs, unless its an IT company, or someone who holds the certs that is.

Part of the reason that I believe there is no distinguishing anymore is because MS has introduced other certs into the fold, such as the MCDST, and the MCSA. Before the market apparently got flooded you were either MCP, or an MCSE. You had to have passed 6 (?) exams to be an MCSE, so everyone was aware of the difference.

8)

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I would think in this day in age that a company who asks for MCSE and they confuse it with MCP is sad... i mean if it happened in cyprus or some other non-english speaking country then fine.. i think companies need to educate themsevles so they hire the right IT people for thier needs and people working towards MCSE and MCSA can fit into different roles...

I just want to add - i started off saying ill do the MCSE but after seeing the amount of real world experience needed to get your MCSE properly is serious... for me getting my MCSE and not working or using the skills associated with it is pointless and makes me more susceptible to looking like a braindumper..so im sticking with my MCSA for now... once i finish uni and find a job and i feel i need to move up with my MCSE ill do it...

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

6 in NT4 days, since W2K it's been 7 :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Spoonroom

Spoonroom New Member

Makes me feel a lot better. :biggrin

I think the problem is with a lot of people who do the courses or study for it, but never write the exams. They tend to say "I did my MCSE" and people don't realise thats not the same as getting certified for it.

Anywhere I can get these stats per country???

Certifications: MCP, I-Net+, CIW-A, N+, CNA, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: CCNA
  14. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I would be interested in the country stats..I read somewhere sometime back that there is only about 8,000 MCSE's in Australia or was that MCSE, MCP, MC as in Microsoft certified whatever??

Yes, A year or so back I had a pointy haired boss [PHB] confuse a MCP toting feckless youth from college with a solid MVP, and then tell me [MCSE, MCDBA] that my days where numbered....I laughed soooo hard. :blink :biggrin

The young chap,to his credit, apologised [for the bosses stupidity]and walked off with the manager to explain the Microsoft Certification path with the aid of the official website. [BOFH mode on for PHB's account..]

The young chap ended up ringing me for a chat and advice a few weeks later, and is now coming along [I am proud to say] rather nicely in a good job in the city - certs [ doing it the right way] and experience wise...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  15. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

I couldn’t agree more with what Simon is saying here about applicants. I myself have no certifications and therefore when I apply for jobs that specifically ask for an MCSE qualified person I know I will have to excel in other areas.

For me my qualities would be experience and personality, which counts for a lot as many of you know, experience is worth its weight in gold.

I haven’t had many interviews of late as I have been in this role for 5 years now but the last one I went to about 3 years ago I asked for feedback after the interview as I thought it hadn’t gone to well. The guy who interviewed me thankfully gave me the time of day and went through it with me.

I thought my lack of certifications was the problem but that wasn’t the case, it was just about personality clashes, he just didn’t think I would fit in with his team due to age which is fair enough, everyone has there opinions. When I asked him about my lack of certs he said my experience was far more important to him.

As they say it’s all about selling yourself and being the right man / woman for the job…

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  16. Kitkatninja

Sorry, Microsoft currently only does world-wide stats (to my knowledge). The closest thing that I've found is this. However this only takes into consideration MCP's and above that have registered with this website, so not a true representation of the figures.

-Ken