NTFS permissions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Raffaz, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

One of my mates has been messing with his computer, he was messing about with permissions, and has denied the everyone group lol. Hes the administrator, but he cant get back into it. Im gonna pop round and have a look tomorrow, so is there anything i can do to sort it? Cheers.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You should be able to take ownership of the files\folders and then grant the admin (or anyone else) permissions to access the files. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Eh? He must have done more than that in order to not be able to login again?!? NTFS permissions shouldn't affect login??....try all the usuals like last known config (though it sounds like that will fail) and safe mode etc etc...did he create any system restore points? He can always use XP cd to use ASR to revert to latest restore point...

If you are talking bout a file/folder, tell him to take ownership of it via admin account, then change permissions that way!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

You beat me to it!!! :biggrin :biggrin

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

hee hee!

Sounds like you have learnt NTFS permissions from the 70-270, get ready for more in the 70-290 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol! Really? Yay!! Oh dear - am actually getting quite excited bout it!! :ohmy

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hehe the words of a true geek 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Raffaz

He says he can still logon, just that he has lost his admin right because he has the deny in place. I thought he would be to take ownereship of the files, but im not so sure if he hasnt got administrator rights.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

He probably has Raff, by default users have administrator rights.

Note; you should tell your mate not to use the deny permission as it overrides everything and should only be used sparingly when you know what you are doing. Of course the reason this happened is that the administrator is a member of the everyone group.

So Sparky is once again correct, you will need to take ownership to fix this.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Raffaz

Ok il tell him to try that mate, i just thought that if you used deny then it denied everything, including admin rights.

11. Raffaz

Just rang him and its worked, cheers for the help guys / gals. Saves me the trouble of going over there now :)

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Makes you look good too. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685