NTFS permisisons for users

Discussion in 'Networks' started by SimonV, Jul 28, 2004.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have built a new file server for our network as the old one was getting on a bit and was running out of disk space, anyway I'm now wanting to migrate all the data from the old file server to the new one. The old file server is going to be refurbished and used to host a software learning package so cant start that job until this one is complete.

My question is about moving the files, I know that when I move the files from the current server to the new one I will lose all the shares and NTFS permissions and I would like some advice on a strategy so I can do this without creating myself too much work.

Do you know of an app or script that I can use to replace the NTFS permissions as most of the folders have a very similar permission structure as they are the kids home folders. The only difference would be there own permissions for there account so something that I can use to assign that. The other permission will be inherited from the parent folder.

EDIT: The folder names are the same as the user accounts logon names.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Si, Take a look at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310316

This has information on setting a registry key so that when moving files and folders between volumes you retain the permissions. We discovered this when migrating data while upgrading our SAN recently, we ended up using a utility called DRU from EMC though, this moved everything including shares which made life so much simpler :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fantastic Phil, that worked a treat. If anyone else tries this the server needs a reboot after you have made the registry change.

Really handy this, thanks Phil that has saved me loads of messing about.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

You could have used Robocopy.exe with the /copyall switch. This will copy the files with all their attributes in tact. There is one problem though, and that is that the user running robocopy needs full control on all the files.

Using NTBackup would work too wouldn't it? Back up the files you require, then restore them to the new location.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.