NTFS File Compression

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by derkit, Sep 21, 2007.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Doing a little light reading on NTFS file compression and I'm a little confused by the notes in MS Press book for 70-271 - can someone translate it ? :D :oops:

1) Compression is lost when moved to a non-NTFS volume or removable device - got that straight away :)

2) Moving files/folders within same NTFS volume - compression remains afterwards (I understand it is decompressed for the move).

3) Moving files/folder with same volume - compression attribute changes to whatever the new parent folder has.

1 and 2 I understand, but what is the difference between a NTFS volume and "same" volume in number 3? I've had a look over a few pages from google but it doesn't clarify what it means, and the forum seems a little empty on an answer.... can anyone help?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think you need to be a bit clear on what it is exactly your trying to get across. I believe your reading about NTFS and what happens to the files when an ntfs file is transfered to another ntfs file or vice versa etc.

If this is the case then the file retains the source of the destination file, on the other hand when it comes to compression it does not become de-compressed as it would still be compressed so long as the destination is an ntfs file format.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply onoski - 2 and 3 were paraphrased from the MS press book hence my confusion.... I didn't write them! :)

I understand it keeps the compression if it the file/folder is moved onto another NTFS volume - but it was the 3rd remark that was confusing me - I don't understand what "with same volume" means.

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I believe what this means is;

C:\DATA <= this folder is compressed

C:\DOCS <= this folder is not compressed

if i move C:\DATA into C:\DOCS then the DATA folder will inherit the attributes of the DOCS folder.

therefore

C:\DATA\DOCS is no longer compressed

5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I agree with Cheeks, although I see your confusion. That must be one of the most badly worded sentences Ive ever read. Oh, and by the way, I think you made yourself VERY clear. :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the help guys - I think I'll go with Cheeks' offering..... and I agree it is a very badly worded sentence... oh well, at least I have Exam Cram 2 and Sybex books to assist also :D

7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

No, that's the problem.
    If a file is move from one folder to another folder on the same volume, nothing happens to the file. It is just a renaming of the file. The file is not physically moved, so the attributes stay as they are. This way you can find compressed files in not compressed folders and visa versa.
    If you move a file from volume C: to volume D:, you physically create a new file on D: and then remove the original on C:.
    This newly created file has no attributes and therefor gets them from the folder it is in.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

well after trawlling the internet like a fisherman looking for mink whale in the mediterranean for some info on compression...... I gave up in disgust..... and then re-read the points (after a few hours reading the rest of the chapter).

1) compression remains same if MOVED within same NTFS volume
    2) compression removed is COPIED within same volume
    3) compression is inherited when MOVED or COPIED to a different volume

<<derkit in feeling rather dumb mode>> :bigcry

[​IMG]

9. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

For the exam, just keep chanting the mantra

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  10. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Ossian thats a nifty little mantra will remember that.

Derkit thanks for making the thread, its helped remind me of that chapter. So many little things to remember for this exam.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

No worries - it was more for my benefit as I couldn't understand what I was reading.....

...helped that I read it correctly in the first place :biggrin:oops:

12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

When you copy, you ALWAYS create a new thing. You have two after the copy. This new 'thing' has no attribs and needs to inherit.
    Moving to a different volume also creates a new thing first.
    The second line is craps. If your copy is placed in a folder with compression, it wil get compressed.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP