NTFS Compression

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, May 26, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I have not got around trying this compression utility, but how good is it?

1- whats the compression like? a folder with 1 gb worth of data and 1gb file, what would the end file size be the folder and file.

2- i can view the files after it has been compressed? e.g. mpeg file?

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

ntfs compression is heavily depended on the type of data that you are compressing. use ntfsratio to determine the ratio per folder/volume. http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

[edit] oh, and yes, you can see, use, change, etc. your compressed files and folders, just like they were regular files and folders. just expect a tiny lag because of the overhead caused by the compression.

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've never used it, but the standard rule with all loss-less compression is that the amount of compression depends completely on the content.

Text compresses nicely, but things like MPEG are already compressed, so you get very little further compression.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

yeah u dont get much compression out of it, almost useless...if u r trying to compress individual files, try using winzip rather than normal compression of microsoft

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3