NT4 SERVER

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, May 16, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

If i create a domain, can i not join a workgroup?

i.e. normally is under a workgroup, but i created a primary server? and created a domain called domain.localvm...

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You can remove your clients from the domain and put them into a workgroup, but if you are talking about the domain controller itself then no.

With 2000/3 you can demote the DC and then attach them to a workgroup, but I'm not sure about NT4 as its been that long since I've seen it, let alone done anything with it! :biggrin

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

not sure about NT... with XP and 2K you have the option of logging on to the local machine or domain so i would have thought so....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Mr.Cheeks

so this machine i have - its not on my workgroup cuz its a domain thing, how can i change this? if anyone knows, if not no probs

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

a domain thing? you mean a domain controller? if it's nt4, you either have to completely reinstall it, or use a third party tool like upromote (http://utools.com/UPromote.asp).

6. Mr.Cheeks

reinstallation...hmmm, i might just do that, so what is the a actual domain

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

the domain is another word for a network of computers that share resources. Domains are for large networks and can have tight security and policies opposed to a Workgroup which is for smaller networks, say 10 machines :thumbleft

Edit:

The domain controller does just that- control the domain (usually a standalone machine to authorise users)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT