Now, this will sound silly - Northbridge/Southbridge

Discussion in 'A+' started by Arroryn, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've been reading up on the various components of the CPU in the last couple of days, and it hasn't half given me a headache.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've got the grasp of it all; but is it essential to know for the A+ hardware exam? Because if it is, I've just fallen out with my training provider; they don't mention the make-up of a CPU at all in my course notes.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

have you examined the Comptia objectives for the course yet ?

http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/objectives.aspx

AFAIK you'll not be asked about registers, control units or other internals of the CPU. They may ask about cache, speeds etc however

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Having a basic understanding of whats in the cpu is probably a good thing.

There is the prospect of questions like "what field replacable unit would you take with you to a customer who's machine is reporting FPU errors?"

Now, if you don't know that the FPU is part of the cpu then you don't know the answer.

Personally, I wouldn't get too bogged down in the minutae of this topic.

Have a look at the objectives like Clyde said, that may put your mind at rest (or not :blink )

I sat and passed hardware last week, and i don't recall any north/south bridge or detailed cpu architechture stuff.

Best of luck.

edited to add direct link to hardware objectives (pdf)

http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/2003_aplus_core_hardware_objectives.pdf

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Meyers gives a fairly good account of northbridge and southbridge.

Note that for many CPU/chipset combos the two bridges are not in the CPU itself, but are part of the chipset.

Meyers makes the comment that these two names are being used less these days and I would agree with that.

While test exams include questions on the two bridges the exam I took last Friday made no mention of them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Arroryn

Thanks for your advice guys.

I have Meyer's Passport book; the All in One is on the way. I must say the exam objectives look intimidating, especially when they're printed out :) But some tests 'll soften the blow.

But back to my training provider, methinks. I'm not sure I want to know if they've missed anything else out :eek:

6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

why do you think they've missed out anything ? The objectives don't really cover the internals of a CPU. To be honest, it's impossible to cover every conceivable thing that could come up in the exam. Thats where study of the material comes in. The training provider is there to clarify the exam material for you.

7. Arroryn

They're not covered in detail, but the objectives do say I'll need to be able to troubleshoot CPU problems; so knowing what is inside a CPU will do (like JE said about people reporting errors).

I know I don't need to go into vast detail about FPUs, ALUs, the Northbridge, anything like that; but it's nice knowing that they're part of what makes a CPU work. Before reading Meyers, I didn't.

Thus far, I've also emailed them asking for info on VRAM and WRAM, which seemed to be quite lacking.

It's valid about clarifying material, and they are probably informing me on what I need to know to pass; on a personal level, that isn't good enough. I haven't paid over 3 grand to get information on a 'need to know basis'. A tunnel vision picture of things isn't the greatest way to try and embark on a career in IT IMHO.

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I hear what you're saying but there's only so much you can cover in class.

As I see it, they have a responsibility to provide adequate training materials and deliver a professional course that prepares you to pass the exams. Further, if they advertise their courses as suitable for career changers, or guarantee jobs etc, they ought to add value to the course by pointing out what you need to do to succeed in the real world.

You have a responsibility to study the materials properly and learn what you need to learn to pass the exams and prepare for the real world.

I don't know if they have failed in their obligations or not, but I will say, its impossible to cover everything in class and some reading around the topic is generally required. That said, they should point out what you need to cover...

So there ya go.. my 0.02 cents worth!

9. Arroryn

It's a good 0.02 Cents :D

But I'm thinking of notifying them anyway. As a study from home course, most people should have the savvy to read around the subject. Ya know. Study outside the box :rolleyes: It's not exactly value for money though, giving them all this cash, then buying another study guide to cross reference.

Hi-dee-hi. lol. Looks like I'll just get on with it!!