Now Not so Confidant . .

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Luddym, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I took a mock test and failed quite badly, with about 70% (when the pass mark on the exam was 85%).

I've been studying the material non-stop for about 3 weeks, and it now feels (with the material im not to hot on) like I'm just reciting what is written and not really able to understand the problem areas at the moment. I've tried looking at websites with the material on, but to no avail.

Picking up the Microsoft guide for 70-291, I notice that there appears to be a lot of similar topics, and was wondering if reading that would help me a little. I know that if I i'm having problems with remembering/understanding some of the material from the N+, then going into the deep end with the 70-291 may not be a great idea. But I'm going to be doing the 70-291 soon'ish (Hoping I can pass the N+, 270, and 290) so I'd only intend to do a quick read of the 70-291 book, without digging deeper into the material that isn't on the N+.

Does this sound like a good or bad idea people?

Many thanks.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Reading an alternative source of information can always help, but be wary that a different perspective can sometimes confuse your understanding.

What text(s) are you using for the Network+ ? if you have foucused on a single text then why not get hold of another Network+ book that may explain things differently.

8)

3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Simon,

I'm using the Sybex (3rd Edition though). And supplimenting it all with internet information, and whatever I can get my hands on.

I started reading the 70-291 yesterday (Microsofts Guide), and I must say that the Section on Subnetting and Supernetting is absolutely excellent. In about 2 pages it manages to explain coherently some of the topics that have taken quite some time for me to understand. Definately well worth the read.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You won't need to know how to subnet for the Network+. What areas on the mock tests are giving you trouble?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Some of the Mock test questions expressed IP v4 addresses as 192.168.12.01/24 It was the 24 bit that always threw me. And another mock question had a similar IP except with the /26 on the end. So I hopet hat learning that helps in some way . . . if only by making me more confident.

I'm having trouble with the OSI at present, but give it time and hopefully it will sink in.

As far as actualy weaknesses go, I'm afriad it isn't really just in one area. There appeared to be a lot of questions i knew, and then about 20 that I just didn't. Those 20 though, were'nt limited to one particular thing ie DHCP, Troubleshooting, commands such as ARP -s, and most of it I hadn't actually come across.

I've downloaded the N+ comptia objectives, and basically am studying up on those. As well as making sure I still know the port numbers, and cable types, and which topology links to which cable, and distances . . . . . . . . .