Now I'm really depressed :(

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 12, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hmmn, Jobcentre today, been told I'm on "New Deal 25+" and that I have to go on a 2 week course on how to prepare CV etc :rolleyes:

Did some searching on the 'net and found this so not looking forward to it at all :

http://www.newdealscandal.co.uk/newdeal/2009/dear-gordon-brown-new-deal-is-a-farce/

They've already said they can't guarantee who I'll be on the course with - which makes me suspicious from the start ! :eek:

After that I have to be "found" a 13 week placement which I have to take regardless of what it is and I'll have to drop my MSc while I'm on the placement (that's like a whole term !!!) so looks like it's the end of that.

Sounds like the end to me :behead

Oh yeh - they have "exective" help now ..... but only for the newly unemployed ! Crazy !!!

If you hear a big engine it's my rocket taking me to the moon - I'm off ! :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good luck with the "course". The linked rant, though long, tells the story well. Unfortunately, it sounds like typical government crap. :(

Keep us posted, mate.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yep, the more I read about these courses the less I'm looking forward to it. Have spent the afternoon chasing all possible contacts ! Need a job quick now !

4. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

I am so sorry you have found yourself in this situation. Best of luck on the course. It is better that than losing the benefits.

Don't lose hope, you will find a new job!

Can you get a temp contract? If that does not last long at least it would class you are as newly unemployed and you could access the executive assistance.

Best of luck mate.

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Nightmare! Chin up captain, we all have to jump through a few hoops sometimes. One thing I would say is try your hardest not to drop your MSc mate, you've worked really hard and like you this is probably what I'd be most gutted about in this situation.

Would you consider starting your own PC Repair business? I think thats the type of business you were MD for wasn't it? Only reason I ask is I'm sure you can get grants if you will take people off the dole.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

:iagree then you could employ me as a PC Technician...!!! I will accept Peanuts as a wage as its roughly what I would be worth in a PC Technician role at this present moment :p
    Annoyingly I wouldn't be ready for that position anyway as far as knowledge of working with computers goes! :(

Back to topic best of luck mate finding a new job, have you tried advertising in local papers as a Freelance PC Technician? it could well be worth the try, you never know!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Been there done that at cost of marriage and health (high bp) - not keen to do it again

As above m8 and not possible to guarantee enough income to pay my bills unfortunately.

Thanks for the thoughts people :)

8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Allot of people are in so many sucky situations at the moment. I am depressed every day!! Every day gets worse and worse. In fact my life now sucks so hardcore.

UKDarkstar that was a nice pub we went to one time. I am sure they have a nice bottle of vodka up there ;)

Maybe you should fly off to another country and never come back! I want to.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're able to type on the computer, trust me, it could be a LOT worse. I've seen worse. You don't want that.

Count your blessings... they're there, even if you don't take notice of them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That sucks mate.

The job centre has nothing to do with helping people find jobs anymore.
    It's all about getting you to jump through their pathetic little hoops.

The propblem is that everyone gets lumped into the same box.
    What they fail to appreciate is that for some unemployed pikey who would be challenged to flip burgers in McDonalds, a creative CV writing course may be of some help.

But for a professional who can speak in sentences, it's just a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

They haven't really caught up with the times...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Sad situation mate. The department of work and sorting out their own pensions are a joke. The system seems at times to benefit those who just aren't interested in work, and go for the soft target - those who are trying their best to get work and better themselves.

Have you been down to see Citizens Advice? Surely if you are set to start an MSc, that makes you unavailable for work, so a 'lets learn to fill in a job form' course wouldn't be appropriate. I'm no expert but the CAB should be able to help you.

Hope everything works out OK

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

What would happen if you signed off for a week, then signed back on again?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

My brother was in this situation and was supposed to go to these courses. I can tell you now that he only went to the first session as everyone there spoke foreign languages or were gang type criminals who were being forced to go. There was no space to sit anywhere and they all crowded round and were expected to read job newspapers and sort out their CV's.

He managed to wrangle his way out of it with some sob story and is finishing off some electrical qualifications that relatives have paid for. Horrible situation to be in to be honest, i feel for you.

He told me something recently though that there was a nice lady at the job centre that really tried to help him and mentioned things such as schemes where you can keep your benefits for weeks now after finding a job and should you quit because it is not suitable you will not be penalized. Other things such as the employer getting paid a fair chunk of money should they take you on and you are employed with them.

There were quite a few things that he mentioned were helpful that he had not heard before. Apparently there was some number that you ring if you find work and they will simply take some details and go away and sort out all the housing benefits stuff and all the council tax stuff for you so it is not such a pain to go through the system.

Ask them if there is any of these schemes that could be used to help you maybe? Good luck with the job hunting, hope you get something soon.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks m8, have explored all possibilities and it doesn't look hopeful.

I think I may just have to bite th bullet and chuck in the towel. If I pack in the claims and sell up at least I can do things my way and say "stuff them " !

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks Maria

The gripe is that I started the MSc with their backing ! They thought, like me, it would be good to get Uni contacts with employers and be able to use the MSc (particularly the project) as a "hook" to get an employer to take me on.

Now turns out that the advsier in question (who was very good) "wouldn't have known about the New Deal requirements" and so it's just "tough" that I'd have to give up a course they'd already backed (and NOT financially I might add - I got funding for the fees from a private educational trust).

Anyway, I'm off to do some more quiet fuming :twisted:

16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just as a side thought might be helpful to do mini cabbing on the weekend or Friday nights and the weekend. This is just till you get work and carry on doing your Msc. Best wishes and hold in there.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

My mate is a mini cab driver and he's been doing it for 7 years. He went through a few years of pulling in 40k plus per year. BUT, this year he said he'll be lucky to make £10k!!! Where I live, the taxi trade has fallen flat on it's face. He queues up outside nightclubs fighting with other drivers to try and get the punters that don't want to walk home...which are very few!

Sorry to hear about your problems UKDarkstar with the Jobcentre.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  18. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Staying in is the new going out isn't it. And I think for years everyone's had that mentality "Oh if I get stuck I'll just go on the cabs for a bit". Unfortunatley I think everyones had the same idea :rolleyes:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I don't think I fancy cabbing with my Beamer :p

20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Then there really isn't a problem then:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell