Novell

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Sep 22, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was just reading that Novell will be selling itself off in two parts. One püart, the IP part will probably be going to a company in the US somewhere. The other part, namely SuSE linux will probably be sold off to VMWare.

Does anyone else think it would be really interesting if Microsoft stepped in and bought it?

Think of it, SuSE Linux by Microsoft. :ohmy

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

AFAIK the only distro owned by novell is sles (suse linux enterprise server which spears off into sled and opensuse), I think sles would be well avoided by MS, Novell have alot of fingers in alot of pies and they have been selling bits n bobs off for a while. We are a Novell shop and I think the only real novell shops like us exist in the public sector (at least in the UK). I think purchasing Novells sles would be very small potatoes to MS.

Also not entirely convinced what Vmware would do with buying suse either as the COS in vmware products is now end of life.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure there's much worth buying! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The beginning of the end for some of the products perhaps?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs