Note to IT: Stop whining

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Note to IT: Stop whining

IT, like every department in the company, has a thankless infrastructure element that no one acknowledges until it breaks. So it’s time to buck up and stop whining.

Spend a few minutes with an IT wonk, from the CIO down to the most junior programmer, and you will find a common and unfortunate fault: excessive whining. Your average IT worker can regale you with endless tales of woe: from lack of funding and the evils of outsourcing, to a dearth of acknowledgement for years of applying patches, caring for backups and fending off hordes of hackers and crackers bent on ransacking corporate infrastructure. In this sorry state of affairs, save for an occasional Dilbert cartoon, the world fails to acknowledge the trials and tribulations of the lone IT soldier.

Imagine the shoe on the other foot for a moment if you will. Let’s say your next paycheck fails to miraculously appear in your bank account on payday. A call to payroll connects you with an apologetic soul who spins a sorrowful tale of the difficulties of balancing the debits and the credits, the trials and tribulations of FICA, UCI, Medicare and Medicaid deductions, the myriad nuances of NSS versus SWIFT standards for funds transfers and the damnable misery of dealing with those outsourced bastards at ADP. Would you share a sympathetic sigh, thank the person for their years of trouble-free payroll processing, and tell them to they can pay you whenever they can get around to it? Similarly, if your car disappears from the company parking lot would you lend a sympathetic ear to the security guard who rails on about a lack of staff, and blames the problem on those fat cats in the C-suite that wouldn’t pony up the money for the laser-guided robotic guard dogs that clearly would have prevented the theft, or would you demand answers as to why your car is gone?

To read the whole page, see here.

Thought that I maight just post this here, the world just doesn't understand us :cry:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think sometimes a group whine about things brings people closer together lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It just goes to show that inorder to succeed in IT management you need to understand the business as well as the technology thats driving it! :biggrin

4. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

It always seems that the IT group at a company is generally a group of orphans that becomes a tight knit family. Of course one that fights a lot, but generally we stick together.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  5. postman

postman Byte Poster

Surely, in every job people moan, in my current job the complaints amongst the staff have reached an all time high (as noted in our forum).

It's very simple - people moan about their job (overworked, underpaid and under appreciated) to other people who think that their own job is the worst and that others shouldn't be complaining, just look at professional footballers - we think they have a great job, getting really well paid, only working a few hours a week and having beautiful women throwing themselves at them but the reality is that they have to train a lot and they are under club control for their entire professional lives (telling them what to eat, what to drink, where to go etc.) they only have a short career (sometimes very short). You could also apply the same to other careers such as movie stars or pop stars.

WIP: A+