Not working 9 to 5

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by derkit, Jun 15, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

A common trait in jobs in the UK (not sure about US) is that jobs are normally for 9am start to 5pm finish. Looking around for my next step I see an increasing number of roles that are outside these hours - and I suppose my thoughts are this: would you go from a 9-5 job to a 24/7 role or working 4pm-midnight to make that next step in your career or would you give it a wide berth? And why?

I'm lucky enough to not have children or really any other commitments apart from my girlfriend, but changing from a "normal" 9-5 job to something like 2 days/2nights/2off, or a late start 4-midnight, would obvious have an impact on what I could do at weekends or in the evenings - just wanted to get the congregations thoughts??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To be honest shift style work does not appeal to me.

However in saying that I am contracted to work 9-5 but rarely do. I generally end up working 9-5 and then some! For example I had to work late a few weeks ago as a customer was getting a new leased line installed, didn’t leave until 11pm. Again some installations I have done have been over the weekend as it makes more sense as no users are in and we can reboot servers etc when we want and also if there are any problems then at least we get a few hours to get things sorted.

I guess you have to be flexible in your approach to working hours but not forget to have a life at the same time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I understand what you're saying about working outside of office hours - some things can't be done when others are working - but I was thinking more along the lines of permanent/being contracted to work the non-9-5 hours.

Flexibility is useful and I would go as far as saying expected, but I'm not too sure on the obscure shift patterns/working times being a constant/contracted thing.

4. Sparky

I know what you mean, the thought of working every Saturday (just an example) does not appeal however if it was part of a one off install\project then it doesn’t bother me.

It depends what kinda job you are going for I guess. I have noticed that some of the more corporate level IT jobs have shift style patterns as they need a helpdesk available 24/7 and someone than can take escalated calls at any time of the day.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have worked all sorts of shifts in various jobs before I got into IT. I even spent 18 months working a permanent night shift, midnight till 8am. I quite enjoy the odd hours, but from having done it loads it really is something you get tired of after a year or so, physically and mentally (especially with rotating shifts, they are hard work on your body). I now work a regular day with a little overtime some Saturdays, it’s easier to plan your life around the social norm of office hours. Also working nights or late shifts can have a negative health impact if it’s for a significant amount of time. It wouldn’t put me off applying for a job though, you may not get the job, and if you do it brings a little variety to one’s life being at work when the rest of the country is asleep.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

I was one of those in a 24/7 helpdesk role, I was on the 2 days of 12hours 7am-7pm then 2 nights 7pm-7am. The only problem i had was when working nights, I missed out what happend during the day and then having 3 days off, I felt I was out of the loop alot of the time. Working everyweekend for a month for the roster rotation put a big hurdle with the missus. Most night shifts were a movie marathon waiting for the phone to ring and having no one else to talk to drove me crazy in the end.

ultimately, if anyone decides to work nights/weekends make sure the cash is worth it and of course it is giving you experience. Other wise better off stacking shelfs on weekends with pentalty rates.

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

A life? That's an alien concept, can you point me in the direction where I can get one of those? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Sparky

Have you tried eBay? :biggrin

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd end up paying a lot of money without a delivery :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

apt-get install life

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I do shift work.

At the moment for two weeks of the month I do days which one week is 7:30am - 1400pm Monday - Wednesday then 7:30 - 17:00pm Thursday & Friday, 7:00am - 11am Saturday

The next set of days is 7:30 - 17:00 Tuesday - Friday

Then I go on to nights which are Tuesday and Wednesday 14:00pm - 12:00 am and Thursday 16:00pm - 4am and Saturady 7:30am - 11am

The next week is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 16:00 - 12am.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

damn me, do you have any time for life? I think this shift pattern would seriously do my nutt in!

We have a team like that at the moment, works all the out-of-work hours, and while they're busy for the first couple of hours, the other 10 hours (2000-0600) is spent sleeping, watching films, simply killing time. At the weekends I think its virtually 48 hours of the same!

This is also what I'm considering, I really can't see the benefit of doing shifts without being very well compensated. The above team get a 40% premium on their salary (from 24k to about 33k) for doing the 24/7/365 shifts - but as you say, are you getting the experience??

13. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

i got offered a job with shift patterns

i turned it down though cos i cant see myself remembering to change my alarm time every few days (never mind the fact that my body clock probably would have gone haywire! )

i remember the recruitment agency saying that it was the norm for jobs to have this "continental" shift pattern, yet i've only seen 1 other job with a similar shift pattern, the rest have all been 9-5 types. they were obviously biased as ive come to expect

Funnily enough, 6 months after i turned the job down.............it was being re-advertised by another recruitment agency, and the salary had actually gone down :blink

By the way there were other factors involved with me turning down the job offer, wasnt just the shift pattern incase anyones wondering

personally i prefer the 9-5 thing and its probably going to take a hefty salary increase and very exciting job role to sway me into shifts

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes it does my nut int, that is why I am always knackered when I am off. I have 2 weeks off at the start of July.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. Crito

Crito Banned

There's no free lunch in America. You either work 9-6 or 8-5 these days. And if you work more than that there's no overtime pay either. :x

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to admit that having worked 'normal' hours for the last 10 years (in IT), the prospect of working shifts appeals to me.

I like the idea of having a change to the routine. Not sure how long I'd last at it though.

17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Usually if shift work is part of the regular work-cycle there's a pay incentive. There are some folks that won't give up shift-work jobs (even to take a promotion) becuase although the base salary would increase, the actual salary would decrease (no shift premium; no O/T; etc...)

Saying that, it's normal for a junior roles (especially in a NOC) to have to work shift work in Canada and probably US too.

18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My current role is on a "shift" system, but is not as extreme - 8am-3.30pm or 10.30am-6pm - I dislike the 10.30 start but I only do it once a month.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions, suppose I just need to get out there and start applying properly (ie, not once or twice a week!)

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not everyone. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd consider doing shift work, if it meant I could spend more time with my wife and kids. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!