not what i want but......

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Sep 5, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So im applying for a job, its full title is administration and customer services assistant. Not being one to blow my own trumpet but i know i could do this job with my eyes closed and i also have relevant experience to back it all up, and especially since ive been working at the school, my confidence is rather high, although not arrogant or cocky, i just know how to do this and also i have common sense.

The problem is the closest ill come to any IT issues is changing a cartridge in a printer etc, on saying that the money is good for starting off, the job states 15-17 k and its 20 mins away from me on the push bike so ideal.

Im thinking ahead here and im sure ill get asked about why i have done loads in IT etc and why am i applying for this position etc. What i want to say is that well i feel that i would do very well at te job , but id also like to get more involved in the IT side of things. Then i could point out what ive done etc.

I cant think of how to say , this job would only be a stop gap lol, until i get a job which is IT. Dont know what t say there??? and dont want to talk myself out of the job either.

At the mo, im thinking id like to be an IT manager, and also focus on security.

Any ideas??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Tough one, will this new job have any IT involvement at all?

If they're not advertising for IT related work at the company, you'll probably find it very tough to just move into their IT dept, they might not even be looking for recruitment there, so i'd worry that you'd be stuck in that job not getting into IT.

Personally, i'd go for IT work straight away if you can. If you're using this as a stop gap, i'd keep schtum about telling them that, otherwise they're gonna realise it's not ideal to take you on if you're going to be out of there as soon as you get your first IT role.

Becoming an IT Manager, completely feasible, but you're going to need years of experience in that line to back it up as a job role, and the same with specializing in security.

Good luck with whichever way you go :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Might be worth holding out a bit longer for an actual IT role to come along as apexes says. The other thing to think about is that if you get this new job it will probably hinder your short term ability for looking elsewhere. Its not unusual for the probationary period of many jobs (3 months or so) to frown upon taking time off especially at short notice which recruitment companies seem to like playing the "we've got an interview for you its tomorrow at 9am on the opposite side of the country" card.

Sounds tempting especially I guess if the money suits your lifestyle at the moment but if you look at it long term you may find its worth holding out longer.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd look at your situation in two ways:

1) you are looking for an IT role; or
    2) you're not.

Let me explain what I mean:

1) Look for an IT role and don't leave your existing job until pushed or it becomes so hated that you are going to through yourself off a bridge - ie, put up with it as its money!
    2) Look for any job as you are fed up with your current one and take one that pays you more, closer to home, better benefits. The better benefits can be simply access to another systems IT department from inside - stranger things have happened!

Obviously, doing option 2, keeps you in work but a happier place. It doesn't stop you from looking at option 1 at all times. Customer service roles are great for actually doing a 1st/2nd/3rd line role in a company because I'll guarantee you'll have to interact with the customer at some point or another!

As for saying you want to leave to do IT if you choose option 2 - only do it after you've been at a place for a while and it becomes apparant that the local IT guys could use another pair of hands! They won't want someone looking for the next best thing as soon as they arrive (again, it never stops you looking though!)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers all

I should add that the place im at now is voluntary, and i have travel there every day .This job is on my doorstep by comparison. They also say that they want their employees to progress and learn new skills.

Il apply and see what goes

Thanks again

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Volunteering is all well and good (I started doing it 8 years ago and met my missus through it so its worked very well for me!) but at the end of the day, and very unfortunately, its hard cash that makes the world move so a paid job is better than none.
    The new place is on your doorstep - which makes life nice - and if they are interested in exploring skills, the worst you can do is turn around and mention an interest in getting into IT at some time.

Hope that application goes well!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293