Not to sure

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mrtec, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

I have applied to a IT help desk in the university i was studying, ( basically thats my first "attempt" to get a job on this field.

do you guys think that i can "expect" something from there? as ... I got no "field"experience.

by tha way;P wish me luck anyways:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCP
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I guess it will depend a great deal on what their 'person specification' was like and what skills they expected you to have. Hopefully you will get an interview and impress them. If you show a willingness to learn and a good attitude then you may well be far better suited to the role than someone with more experience who is a bad people person.

Good luck anyway. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

thanks for the support:D:D

will look forward to hear from them:D

edit: I got hearing difficults and have hearing aids.. (will that turn more difficult the situation?)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck on your job application :) As for if your hearing difficulties will affect the outcome of the application process, my answer is don't worry - it won't.

And as for if you can expect anything from it, the only answer is "yes".

1. If they offer you the job, great, you've got your first job. Or...
    2. If they don't offer you the job, you've got experience in applying for IT jobs, contact them back and ask for feedback - with the feedback you can see what you need to work on.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hearing difficulties will not stop your chances of getting a job.

The IT manager at work is compltley deaf in one ear and has tinitus like myself which effects both his ears and that hasn't stopped him.

Just keep applying and hopefully something will turn up for you. :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

Thanks for your Backup Guys:D

Im loving this forum :D very helpful!

tomorrow is the deadline, and they interviewing people later in december, hoping to get in there!

the only thing is difficult for me : when it comes to Application forms and cvs ... never have good words:x

7. greenbrucelee

Before filling in an application form read and re-read it.

They will have things in it to make them rip it up like ONLY USE A BLACK PEN. If you use blue it'll end up in the bin, or it might have a section where it will say fill in your details here and on the next part say fill in your details here and in small lettering it will say don't fill this in if already done so on previous section.

I would always say print your words on an application form also.

As with CVs don't make it too long, I would say two pages max and don't put in any unnecesary stuff, for example don't put all your jobs full time or part time, put a couple like what you do now and did last and put a sentence like other position details can be given upon request.

Also a small profile about your self at the start could be usefull then what you do as a job and your skills then education background

If you have any questions ask away. :)

8. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

its a pdf or word ( im doing it on word ) not writing in there.. just typing... :)

on the cv just a few jobs? havent done that much though... but i am working as self employed in the IT repairs
    which i would assume it will give me a good help.

by the way as self employed i run the IT repairs and as well a laundry Service( wash dry and Ironing ) would that be good to include this as well? or.. because it is a different "service" i shouldnt?

9. greenbrucelee

Put both down as your current job(s) and maybe one other from the past, then say other job details can be given upon request.

Put your current responsibilities into bullett points e.g
    • Upgrade PCs
    • Resolve problems
    • Install hardware

After the pc part of your job then do the Laundry part, i.e

• Clean & press clothes
    • handle cash
    • deal with people

Also make sure you put down its self employed, you could use people you have done IT repairs for or laundry service for as referees if they give you permission

Hope this helps :)

10. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

thanks for these replies, but can i ask you a bit more help?;P

im kinda confused, so I ll post here my "works" if you can just give me a bit more help ( on which one to put on it )

Self Employment – Mr Tec Computer Repairs - Full Time IT Technician – Upgrades Repairs and Advices

Royal Mail - Part Time - Operational Sorting – Sorting mail
    East Midlands Airport
    Derby

Royal Mail - Part Time – Indoors Sorting – preparing mail to be delivered
    Leicester Mail Centre
    Meridian Business Park

Talking Point – Habeeb Marfani - Full Time – IT Technician and Customer Service – Providing advices in mobile
    phones contracts and IT Repairs and advices

Heccc – Michael Kakkad - Data Entry Clerk

Kwel Computers – Imran Omar - Part Time - IT Technician ( training ) and Customer Service

Bazar Mila – Mrs Mila (Portugal) Part Time – Customer Service and Stock Controller

got to go to my work now though .. so i ll check later on.. and tomorrow morning:D

11. greenbrucelee

Personally I would put your self employment job and then one you were doing before that.

List all of your responsabilities and the skills you have learned.

Next put your educational background

Then two referees like your last boss and someone who knows you are a good worker. Just their name and contact details.

12. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

done all that now:D

just not sure about the "further information in support of your application"

I have put this, ( and i feel its something missing ... or "something" is wrong )

The opportunity presented in this post is very interesting, The key strengths that I possess for success in this post are as follow:

• Self motivated to help others
    • Attitude “can do”
    • Well organized
    • Eye for details

I have experience in:
    • Excellent telephone manners
    • Dealing with hardware upgrades/repairs and software issues
    • Supporting on Microsoft packages to home and offices
    • Maintaining good communication and relationship with Clients
    • Working to deadlines, prioritizing workloads

I am CompTIA A+ IT Technician certified and I am currently studying towards CompTIA Network+ Certification and Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician.

Sorry "posting" this stuff here, i know its not the right forum, but i am a bit "anxious" .

p.s. do i have to enclose a "front cover" to the application form? or just the form itself is correct?

thanks thanks thanks:D

13. greenbrucelee

Further information can be something like what skills you feel will help the company your are applying to, or what position you would like to progress to.

You dont have to do a cover for it, if its an application form but if its a cv you are sending then yes a cover letter is needed.

14. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

greenbrucelee , thanks a lot for all the support:D i have sent it to them, now will be waiting for reply

15. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

while doing another application to another job , came across this:

" Please note that CVs will only be accepted in support of a fully completed application form."

if you "complete" the application Form, ( even though no putting all "past working history" ) wont it be "repeating" myself if i enclose a CV?

16. greenbrucelee

The CV should included slightly more detail of your skills etc than the application form.

17. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

yes i got you:D

thanks all for the support:D