Not sure whether its me or have games got worse?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Juelz, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure whether I have just lost interest or whether games have gotten stale. It feels like everything has been done and these game companies are really running out of ideas. I admit I have taken a massive back-seat the past two years, only purchasing certain games that appeal to me but I'm finding these games that I buy feel like nothing new and never live up to the hype. I have recently purchased The Division and all I can say is it is very average, with annoying features that dont enhance the game e.g open world multilayer.. also the fact it is near enough impossible to play this game solo is annoying. I feel companies these days emphasize on multiplayer far too much.
    Another let-down is far cry primal, I could have literally fallen asleep from the get go, very boring story, gameplay absolutely basic as though it was a game from the 80s with advanced graphics. I can't remember the last time I played a new release that was good; I was planning on getting Quantum break but I just don't know any more. I used to love Gears of War but after the third game I have lost faith in buying the 4th. It could just be me changing as a person but I have next to 0 interest in it any more, and I think gaming hit its peak in 2010/11 and went downhill from there. I till give Quantum break ago as it was the game that made me want and Xbox One, if that fails me I think I will call it a day and not invest any more into it.

thoughts?

2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hmmm Good question.

There doesn't seem to be anything "Original" recently, hence why I am so looking forward to No Man Sky.

I did play a lot of Fallout before Christmas and FIFA but that's generally against mates on-line for an hour to kill the time.

I worked in the "Games Industry" for about 13 Years and I did really enjoy it, but it got to a point (about 32) when everything seemed to be the same and I totally lost interest. Don't get me wrong, I still play games, (looking forward to Uncharted 4 - still not original but great series), but where as I would be looking to 5 or 6 titles a year, its down to about 1 or 2 sadly.

Developers really need to step up their game....Hopefully NMS is ground breaking.

3. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

If you're looking for innovation, the indie game segment is where you might find interesting new ideas but you'd need to hunt them out as the main games press only seems to cover the AAA titles.

With the AAA studios, it's all about DLC and micro-transactions these days. It's probably best to view some pre-release gameplay footage before release (if possible) and maybe check out reviews before splashing out on something new.

If anyone here likes the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter games and Homworld, keep your eyes open for "Enemy Starfighter" - an independently-made game that's due for release any year now.

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
  4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I think having access to so many different mediums these days and the shorter attention spans of todays people, everything has already been done, rinsed and repeated.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of innovation going on with gameplay but more in the way it is delivered.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I bought The Division and played it no more than 5 times

I don't like how as you progress the people you fight against level's increase, and you have to shoot them literally about 80 times before they're dead, it's not accurate. dont even get me started on multiplayer... needless to say it'll be going on ebay shortly.

However, i'm absolutely hooked on Rainbow 6 Siege at the moment - one of the best games i've played in a long time. The way multiplayer works is superb

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

lol yeah Im trading mine in in the hope I get a good amount off on Quantum Break, if QB sucks I'm pretty much calling it aday with gaming.

7. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I've been playing Destiny for some time now but everyone has flocked to Division and all I hear from them is complaints. I'm hoping the update for Destiny will bring some better and longer lasting content to the game.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  8. Jaron78

Once I have the N+ done I will be back on Destiny as I spent a LOT of time on that. Looking forward to the update as well.
    Uncharted, and No Man Sky for me too.

9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

You will go through phases like that mate, or at least I do, where I'm really into my gaming then won't do much for weeks. I've only had a few goes on the division but straight away thought oh, its like a better watch dogs, which I personally found to be absolutely crap. Fallout 4 still semi has me hooked and I'll always love The Last of Us online mode, so brutal.
    Don't get me started but one thing that bugs me, I'm a console gamer. I CBA spending £2k on a gaming rig at the moment although of course I'd love one. I've just got too many other things I want more. I digress, what bugs me is all of this, less than 60fps, less than 1080p from the PS4. I won't bash the Xbox, its kicked its own teeth in with ddr3 ram. I'm looking forward to getting a VR headset but I'd hoped the PS4 would be capable of 4k gaming. Some, not all, of the time it can barely manage 1080p. I rest my case...

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Jaron78 likes this.
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Definitely gotten worse, where are the classics like Jet Set Willy !

Jaron78 likes this.
  11. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I used to love jet set willy and also one called skool daze.

I am still loving battlefield4, I have the map packs with them and have to say its the best £35 i have spent in a long time on a game, it walks over call of duty, even my beloved MW2, except for the map on that game, Rust, we would play knives and handguns only, what a laugh.

I bought the division as well, i think ill be sticking that on ebay, its ok, its just not my cup of tea,

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

See, this is whats stopping me from getting Quantum Break tomorrow... currently studying for alot, including the A+ and my time is stretched.. don't want to get sucked into a game and for all my hardwork to go out the window.. but I know tomorrow will come and temptation will tell me to go buy it lol. I dont get much free-time sue to family commitments so I have about 3hrs spare per-night.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  13. Jaron78

Know exactly what you mean. Biggest test will come in May when Uncharted 4 is out and the new massive Destiny patch ha ha.
    Im sure you will be fine mate. Just need to focus :)

14. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

For me, games have become worse in terms of gameplay which seems to have taken a back seat in favour of a cinematic experience. Games companies seem more concerned with getting celebrity voice actors and creating cinematic visual effect cut scenes, than making a fun and challenging game.
    I'm not a fan of the Last of Us or Life is Strange but I am a huge fan of Half-Life 2 and The Secret of Monkey Island.
    Castlevania 4 was, for me, infinitely more fun and challenging than Castlevania Lords of Shadow which was boring, drawn-out and for some bizarre reason employed quick time events. Sure it had Robert Carlyle, Patrick Stewart and Jason Isaacs but I wanted to play a fun game not play an interactive movie.
    My concern is that it will only get worse, especially with a new focus in VR. Games companies will have to manage their budget deciding how much money to put into proper games and how much into VR "experiences". For me, at the moment VR is providing an incredibly immersive experience for severely basic gameplay, which might still provide a lot of fun for people, but perhaps short lived.

15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree modern games suck, and I agree its because of visual effects and AAA graphics pipelines. Also 99% of mainstream games seem to now be turgid TPS, Wolfstein and DOOM wasn't that great, but now every game is in that mold.

I really wonder what we are teaching our youth with games that are largely just graphic violence, and I'd never have thought I'd be saying that.

I loved the old games like bomberman, bubble bobble, commando, populous, uridium, etc. Also LucasArts adventures.

I did enjoy media based games like Defender of the Crown, King of Chicago, Tex Murphy etc.

16. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im thinking of giving assasins creed ago.. Black flag was quite good.

17. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I'm actually someone that really enjoys FPS (or the kind where you play from a 3rd person perspective, a la Batman/Gears of War/etc...).

But the effort companies need to put into standing up to todays gfx essentially becomes a competition between developers. The more time (and money) put on the visuals, strains the same budgeted effort from gameplay.

But as I get older, I also long for something a little simpler, something to pick up and play when I have some free time. Although then again, I've put in over 2000 hours over the three Borderlands games since their release (ooops!).

Probably the worst offenders are those who show off a great look in pre-release videos (Aliens, Far Cry 3, etc...), and then when you have the game in hand, they have been dramatically toned down or altered outright (note to all, I have not played Aliens or FC3, although I do own the latter... just stating what I've read on the internet as per reviews).

Just downloaded the new DOOM multiplayer demo. Essentially wanted to see just a little bit of what to expect once it's released 3-4 weeks from now (I did preorder... been a Doom fan since I first made WADs for it so many years ago). Lots and lots of moaning and groaning on Steam about how they don't like it. But it's also a Beta and only has two multiplayer maps. I prefer single player (or cooperative multiplayer) these days, so I still hope to see something fun and fast in the final release (and why not something simple).

Sometimes the most fun games are simple. Doom is still a hoot to play, no complex game play mechanics. And same goes for Left for Dead, also fun (although by now I'd like to see a v3). And I could go on... But I'm not that demanding anymore, I just want to have a mythical environment to roam around in, and if the game doesn't last a hundred hours, it's quite fine for me. If I get under ten hours of game play, but those ten hours were above average, I got my moneys worth.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  18. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

I am the same. I bought during sales a bunch of cheap games yet I play games on Miniclip. Most of the games I bought though were pick up and play like the Price of Persia series and Rayman Legends (nice visuals but mind numbingly easy).

I bought Skyrim Legendary for £4 but I find I don't play it because I want to lose myself in that game for a long period rather than pick it up and play for 20 mins then put in down. When I get a steady job I hope to start playing Skyrim properly.

I just bought Mirror's Edge for 99p from Game which is parkour like PoP so hopefully that will be fun in short bursts.

19. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

These days when you buy a game you make a commitment to invest a great deal of time into it, whatever happened to 5hr games lol?

20. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Yeah and those 5hr games were pretty awesome too. I haven't tried any Indie games and wonder if they are designed to be like the old pick up and play, complete in a few hours games. Games like Shovel Knight maybe.