Not seen this on a job ad before ...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 20, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Support engineer position on the Reed site today has this at the bottom :

Apply for this job

If you wish to apply for this job please answer the questions below then click on the apply button.

Have you heard of Navision before? YesNo

Can you work shifts? YesNo

Can you drive? YesNo

Have you ever been dismissed before? YesNo

I can understand asking about Navision (though if they want you to support it I hope you've more than "heard" of it !) but have neve seen questions with answer buttons before !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

It's just a few simple questions that will help the employer weed out unsuitable candidates.

There's no point you getting to the an interview and then saying you don't want to work shifts and you don't have a driving license. It's a waste of their time and resources.

I'm not sure if it's compulsory to answer them though, it should give you more detail on the advert about how to apply.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Why does someone who's been dismissed become unsuitable?
    being dismissed is not a bad thing, being dismissed is you and the company not quite melding, and they took action first, not entirely different to quitting, except you take action first

I wont get into the details right now, im heading up to Social Media Cafe in London, but unless it was Gross misconduct or something, its just a parting of two entities, nothing more!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Indeed, I was just making the point that I would normally expect these listed as requirments maybe. Just not seen them on a recruitment site (especially such a major one) that required them to be answered before applying (not that I was - crap company !)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

They need to add:

"Can you work 20 hours a day for little to no pay?" yes/no

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I would guess it goes into some automated processing system, rather than adding it as a requirement for the role and people applying regardless of whether they could match the requirements or not.

I hear your what you're saying Phoenix, I think maybe my blanket 'unsuitable' doesn't apply to the dismissal question, I'm not even sure if employers are allowed to ask that anyway? Just because you have been dismissed from a company it shouldn't hinder you from gaining further employment elsewhere.

But whilst we're on the point, I personally understand dismissal as the company terminating your contract of employment. For them to do this you have to have breached the terms and conditions laid out in the employment contract, or the employer is liable for unfair dismissal.

I do not know how a company can just turn around and end your employment just because the employer and employee didn't quite see eye to eye. The employee could get offered an opportunity to resign, or even forced into redundancy, but not out rightly dismissed.

The only option I could see is, 'if a clause in the employment contract permitted termination within a certain notice period without reason'. This would be pretty harsh and would certainly fit in with what you are saying.

7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Have you heard of Navision before? - google and click yes

Can you work shifts? - should be easy enough to answer

Can you drive? - again should be easy to answer

Have you ever been dismissed before? - unless you've been sacked for something like misconduct i'd click no

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

In the United Corporations of America it's called "at-will" employment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_will_employment

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

All we've got in Idaho is "at will" employment since it's a "right to work" state (read: "We-pay-a-lot-less-than-other-places-for-the-same-work").

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Cheers Crito, but I don't think we have that law in the UK (at least I hope we don't!!).

Really! :ohmy

That's gotta be a concern for you? Do you not worry over job security?

11. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

Once you have worked somewhere for a year in the UK you get protection from unfair dismissal, until then the situation is similar to the USA as I understand it

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  12. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I always thought it was up until you have completed your notice period you can be dismissed without reason and usually on a weeks notice.

Once you have completed your notice period your full contractual entitlement comes into play.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not if you're good. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

I was going by the advice here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/DG_10026692

In most cases you will need to have a year's service to make a claim for unfair dismissal.

I think you mean Wrongful dismissal

"Wrongful dismissal is different from unfair dismissal. It's where your employer breaches your contract in dismissing you, normally by dismissing you without notice or without following a procedure required by your contract. A dismissal can be both wrongful and unfair."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContractsAndConditions/DG_10027521

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  15. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Ah yes you're right, I probably do mean Wrongful dismissal! :biggrin

16. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I disagree with this. The right-to-work means you can't be forced to join a labor union to get a job. In states that do not have the right-to-work laws you can't get into many positions without joining a union. I have lost out on a lot of really good jobs because of the requirement to join a union is enforced legally.

To me it's a complete raft of crap that a union can keep me from working. It's nothing more than economic blackmail.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1