Not a clue

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Oct 25, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Need some advice on what to do with this new laptop

Basically its just stopped working. Ill explain, basically i didnt shut the laptop down i just closed the lid and when i tried to get it on again it took ages then the screen went blank with just the cursor just in vision and moving round freely. The task manager could not be activated when i pressed ctrl+alt+delete. But i go it to work no problem when i booted in safe mode.

Luckily i have a vista disc and i was reluctantly going to reformat the whole thing, which i didnt want to do , so luckily the disc had a diagnostic tool and seems to have repaired evreything and now its back as it was.

Now im not expecting you lot to wave a magic wand and tell me its such a problem etc, that would be nearly impossible, but what could maybe have caused it and are there any programs out there that you think i should have, that would keep it in order and hopefully i can avoid the panic of thinking id lost 5000 words in some essay thats due monday.

I did a back up disc but i have lost it so ill create another one, but any other tips would be appreciated

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

i think it's probably a hibernation problem, the day Microsoft get that to work reliably without causing problems, monkeys will indeed fly out of my a$$

best advice i can give you to avoid such hassle, is always shut down Windows gracefully :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Ed,

When you closed the lid, did your laptop go into stand by mode or hibernation? I know that in the past vista had issues with hibernation where the computer couldn't come out of it until you did a hard reboot. Supposedly SP1 should fix this problem. I did experience a very similar issue but with a desktop.

It could be many things but we'll start with the basic stuff first then move on to troubleshoot the software and hardware.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth. I've never seen hibernation work right. If you're gonna use it, use it; if you're not gonna use it, shut it down. Save yourself a lot of hair pulling that way.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!