NOOBIE ERE...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pug-performance, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pug-performance

pug-performance Bit Poster

Greetings and salutations cert formus people. I finally took the plunge on registering myself as a member after doing some serious soul searching on my career path..actually it was searching on google really.

Just a bit about myself..im 24, graduate in Multimedia Computing and currently working as an IT Support officer. Not particualrly happy with the current position im in tbh hence why im on cert forums to utilise the wealth of information on this lovely website and to progress up the career ladder..

I came across this site when looking for reviews on certain training companies and after reading so many threads on different training providers both good and bad i have decided to leave my hard earned money in my back pocket for now and focus on one thing which is my A+, which is why i'd like to ask how do i go about taking the exam as i have some material ready (comptia A+ COMPLETE study guide)..just have to get stuck in to it,
    and what other reading material would you recommend for this cert?

thanks..look forward in speaking to you all.

Certifications: ITIL Foundations
    WIP: A+
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Alot of us will recommend Mike Meyers - All In One, Sixth Edition for the A+. Its a great book that will contain everything you need to know!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

You can sit any Comptia exams at either Vue or Prometric testing centres. For cheaper vouchers you can check out gracetech (just make sure you buy the vouchers that work in the UK and not in the US), if not you can buy them from the testing centres.

Other materials you may want to check out for the A+ would be this book.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

What they said you cant go wrong with a bit of MM action, welcome.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

I'll agree with the guys MM all in one is great value as a study aid and a reference book in work!
    Good advice from wagnerk on taking the exams, it really is easy to book online and hassel free at these test centres...Good Luck with your studies

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:twisted:

Have a browse around the A+ forum. There are a lot more resources there.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. pug-performance

thanks for the comments and warm welcome guys..much appreciated, nugget..i love your avatar..sooo funny :p.

what i wanted to ask was how is it best to start of with the A+..how many exams are there? are they split in to modules? What did you find the hardest to acheive from this cert?

thanks

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Two exams... one core (220-601), one elective (220-602, 220-603, or 220-604). No modules - questions from multiple subject matter "sections" are all lumped together into a single exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. pug-performance

great stuff, thanks for the info mate.

11. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Delayed welcome

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  12. nsk

nsk Banned