noobi, thinking of dual booting xp pro onto vista.... any takers

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by leeroy2612, Apr 13, 2007.

1. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

said it all in the title really.
    jus wanna hear the more personnal version of what to do rather than trying to decipher a step by step guide:unsure :unsure :noob

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Its straight forward mate, just create a seperate partition for each OS, then install the oldest one first, then the other one after (obviously lol). Your second OS install will take care of the boot loader for you.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Have a dual boot of XP and Vista also. Nice and straight forward, just follow what Raffaz has said and u wont go wrong.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

so does that mean that i have to (back up 1st) uninstall vista, install pro, then wack vista back on?:oops:
    how much and where's the best place to get pro. how much space would i need to reserve for pro . :blink :blink

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  5. joxley1990

joxley1990 New Member

No, not exactly. Does the machine already have vista then yeah?

If so, you need to partition the HDD (split it up), I think XP pro needs up to 4GB.. that's with everything installed.

So when you have partitioned the HDD, you just pop the XP disc in, and choose with space of the HDD to install it to.

So, say if you partition 10GB aside, and have it set as (D:) when you come to install XP, just install it to the D: drive.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would split the drive into three partitions of roughly equal size - XP eats up space after a while and 4GB may be the amount banded around by Microsoft but with the sizes of hard drives nowadays i would want 80GB at least.

So, one partition for Vista, one for XP and another for your data. That way if you need to blow away either install by re-formatting a partition you wont lose your data.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

thats how my laptop is set up; 10gb C:/ for vista, 10gb d:/ for xp and 20gb for storage.

this "might" help if you already have vista installed and want to add XP
    LifeHacker