NON-IT TO IT..MAKING THE LEAP!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jobless_panic, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jobless_panic

jobless_panic Bit Poster

I am currently doing a simple Non-IT job with a Supermarket. :blink I have a reasonalbe list of Academic and Professional IT qualifications behind me. My single biggest question is how do us folk direct a CV when applying for a job? Does anyone have any CV/Cover Letter advise and perhaps any job interview advise to share? :rolleyes:

2. jobless_panic

jobless_panic Bit Poster

Appreicate any input you can provide however small. Thank you. :hug

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi j_p,

Have you looked through the pinned threads at the top of this very sub-forum ? There are some truly sterling posts and advice in these that should answer your questions, or at least begin to. Have a look and let us know :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. jobless_panic

jobless_panic Bit Poster

cheers Jakamoko :rocks . spent quite a bit of time reading all the posts. got some great tips on interviews and on writing CVs in general. But I am yet to see one from one who has never been working in IT. So perhaps I am looking for the "icebreakers" :unsure

5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hi J_P

I too work in a supermarket, in a Non-IT related role, unless you count checkouts as IT :ohmy . But today, ive a bit of a break, and suggest you maybe try the same. depending of course, if the supermarket is a chain and has an IT dept.

Basically this happened, end of my shift, went to see someone in admin, played dumb and said " i believe there is an IT section here?" where i would look for IT jobs within the company if i were seeking one. Nice lady told she would show me where the jobs are advertised, then on the off-chance i just mentioned I was studying computers hoping to go into IT, and ideally would like to stay within the company, but ithat i was lacking any experience. The result out of nowhere, she said well come see me next week, and ill about getting a placement in the IT department.

I am a very happy bloke and will be a very merry happy drunk tonight :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats great news Colloghi. :thumbleft

Hope it goes well for you.

Back on the theme of the original thread I would say that you need to focus on your 'soft skills'. The CV itself is difficult to direct towards IT if you have a non IT background, but it is possible. Identify what you are doing / learning and list any specific ITskills that you have. i.e: Build home PC's for friends, family, troubleshoot problems when they arise, make recommendations for upgrades, etc.

Where you can really get across your passion for IT would be in the covering letter. I believe that this can carry as much weight as the CV itself. Comment on how you work well as part of a team or on your own. How you take a methodical approach to resolving issues (mention experience of this, it doesn't have to be IT related). Say what you are doing to improve your IT skills and how much you enjoy it.

As I have never been in this situation myself there is only so much I can suggest, but remember if it is an entry level position you are applying for they will not expect you to have an outstanding amount of knowledge, but they will expect you to show to them that you have the desire to learn.

8)

7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Simon has it right

there's no point in listing out all the jobs you've done as the CV screams "no IT experience"

What you need to do is think about each job and ask yourself what skills are 'transferrable' i.e. applicable to other jobs, especially IT. Stuff like customer service experience, management skills, people skills etc
    Second, be able to list achievements for your jobs to highlight that you're worth taking on
    then focus the CV on your skills, not jobs. Do a google on "functional CV" and see what you get...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  8. jobless_panic

jobless_panic Bit Poster

Thanks for all your valuable input. :thumbleft Glad to see I am not alone in this forum of those who have no prior (employment) experience in IT. I am seriously considering a Professional CV Writting service such as Alec.co.uk. Do you think they or any other CV writting service will get me far as an interview? And finally any thoughts on where I can target entry level IT jobs (a website perhaps).. :beers2
    Cheers.