Non-certified looking to gain new skills.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Aodhan, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Aodhan

Aodhan New Member

Hi there everyone, glad to have found this forum.

Tried to kick my own ass into the CompTIA A+ a while ago with just the book and lost momentum, need to get myself into something I can enjoy a bit more than my current employment.

A big pre-emptive thanks for any advice people give me.

Aodhan

2. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Hello mate

Welcome to the forum

The book can be a lot to take in on its own and harder to break down. I would suggest Professor Messer's vids on YouTube which are free and also there is currently a sale on Twitter udemy and you can get Mike Meyers vids for the A+ & N+ for 12£ each. It'll make it easier to study and to make notes as they cover the full course.

I'm also studying for the a+ at the moment.

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Aodhan likes this.
  3. Aodhan

Aodhan New Member

Thanks a lot for the Professor Messer tip Guvnor. I currently have both of the 8th edition Meyers A+ and N+ but just lost the ability to motivate myself last time I tried. (Plus ebook versions would definitely come in handy.)

I was looking at OpenIT but the course prices seem a bit steep, the promise of a job is tempting though.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

My opinion would be to avoid training providers get yourself some good training videos from udemy or even ebay (I bought some for £3). You have to find videos that are engaging. Only you can motivate yourself mate.

What job do you currently have?

Aodhan likes this.
  5. Aodhan

Aodhan New Member

I'm currently working as a Teaching Assistant, my lack of a degree means it's as far as I can go in an education job. I run a Computing club and help out the System Admin when they're off-site.

Thanks Juelz, I'll have a look at some other videos if the Professor Messer ones leave me cold.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yeah mate go for it.. This will be around the 5th time I've tried to study for the A+ lol so I get where you're coming from.. its a meaty subject and finding the motivation can be hard, finding people who are also studying for it has been a big help in regards to motivation.

Jaron78 and Aodhan like this.