Nokia and Microsoft partnership

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by LukeP, Feb 12, 2011.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Does anyone find that interesting?

I'm looking forward to seeing new Nokia handsets with Windows 7 Phone OS on the market.

Also funny how former MS employee secures CEO position at Nokia and makes a big deal with MS in which Microsoft is clearly a winner.

Don't get me wrong though. I think Nokia will benefit from Win 7 Phone OS. Symbian is rubbish. They should have ditched it ages ago.

What are your thoughts?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I thought that it was in the news the day after Nokia basically admitted that they were in the toilet.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I must say having direct experience with a Nokia N900 that the gf picked up they need some sort of boost.

The phone is pretty smart in what you can get it to do since it runs a Maemo linux OS on it, but as an actual competent phone with available, usable discreet "apps" the thing is a joke.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Nokia's were awesome back when i was 12 - i remember paying £150 for a nokia 5210(?) i think it was called, and it was awesome, it had a game on and everything.

After the smartphones got smart, nokia fell back, the last nokia i had was an N95, which was good - but it couldn't compete against the iphone or android series. Symbian is tacky and slow now, like luke said they should of dumped ita ges ago.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Last nokia I had was a N80..... vowed never to buy a nokia again, worst piece of tat ever!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This is a smart move from Microsoft, a really smart one. There are a lot of people who will buy a Nokia just because. Now, when they stick Windows Phone 7 onto the phones as standard, I can see them taking a large slice of the Smart OS market from Android. The iPhone isn't going anywhere, but they can seriously make a dent in Android which from my usage just is too fragmented and rough when compared to WP7.

Microsoft want to make a dent in the smartphone Market, and Nokia need to get away from Symbian otherwise they are ****ed. I think this will accomplish both objectives if they get it right (by starting with some bloody WP7 advertising which is non existent. You can't go an hour without seeing an Apple advert)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3