No video playback

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I have a secondary monitor (hp1502) and have connected it my to analogue connector, and all is well...

however, it seems that it cannot play video files, avi's, mpegs, even dvds...

i checked the settings in nvidia CP and it seems to be ok,even updated graphics card drivers (geforce6200).

i tried google, but its bring up loads of irrelevant stuff...

its plays ok on this monitor, but when i drag the movie file to the right (second monitor) then the movie picture freeze as if it was a screen shot but the voice is still there...

does anyone know why?

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheeks,

What media player (and version) are you using?

From what you say, it is the fact that the video is being moved from one screen to another?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I get this when trying to drag Realplayer (and sometimes WMP) between monitors. It's never bothered me enough to look into it, I just stop the video, move the player and then play again.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is down to a weirdness with DirectX.

DirectX works by 'cutting a hole' in windows, and trying to push the video data mostly direct to the video memory (this is approximate). The problem is that most drivers only support one of these 'holes' at a time, so if you try and duplicate the video on another monitor you get a black box.

Some video drivers have a special mode where the video is directed to one screen while windows is on another. You have to select this mode though - it won't happen automaticaly. Otherwise make sure that only one screen is on at a time.

High-end Matrox cards can deal with more than once screen at a time quite well - which is why they are so expensive!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

figured the problem, but not a solution.

the file can only be played on the prinary monitor.

when i right click desktop
    > settings
    > [x] Use this device as the primary monitor

the which ever monitor is selected, that would be the monitor where i can playback video...

strange huh?

btw: im using vlc player, and for the meantime media player. dvd playback = powerdvd

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheeks,

Glad you sorted it - at least you can play the file on the monitor you want.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

This is from MS book

Make sure that the display with the best direct x support is the primary monitor. Only the primary monitor can run direct x applications in full screen mode and can fully accelerate direct x graphics.

So there doesnt appear to be a way around this.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house