Problem 'No Video Output' - ????????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Co9, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Dear All,

My PC will power up but return a 'no video output' to monitor

Have removed internal peripherals one by one up to RAM after which post bleeps returns RAM missing.
    If I'm getting post bleeps at this point it suggests to me that mobo is working and all else fine and a good possibility RAM therefore faulty. Have tried placing DIMM in other slot to no avail. Have tried the rubber on contacts method to no avail. Have tried a new DIMM to no avail. No Graphics adapter - just on board - how then could I test on board graphics. Could it be the CPU. If suffered a power surge than presumably the board/components wouldn't even allow power up let alone return RAM missing / faulty post pleeps ?

Any Ideas will be greatfully received.

Kind regards

Co9

WIP: A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

A power surge can blow anything, from a USB controller to on board graphics (I had a blown USB controller before, the rest of the board was fine for years after that). The only way to really check the video is to use a seperate card and see what happens then.

It's unusual for faulty ram to cause you video issues tho, generally it will cause kernel panics in the OS and bluescreen \ not boot, rarely will it not give you any display.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good info from Simon.

If your using onboard video and getting no display then the mobo could be shot, try a CMOS reset.

This is how you do it (if you don't know).

Unplug from the wall (not from the PSU).
    Locate and remove the battery
    Locate the jumper pins next to the battery (may be below and to the right, refer to the motherboard manual).
    Move the jumper cap from pins 1 & 2 to 2 & 3
    press the power button on the case to remove any residule power
    Put battery back in
    move jumper cap back to 1 & 2
    Plug back into wall
    Power on.

This should set everything back to default in the BIOS, if you get not luck with this the next thing to try is another psu (just because everything appears to be powering up apart from the onboard graphics does not mean the psu or mobo is ok).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Many thanks for this Simon. I was under the impression regarding RAM that it is required for video output - I have a feeling the RAM controllers for the slots are faulty not the dimms themselves as ordered in new to no avail (both slots). Also tried an old video card in a PCIe slot also with no video output returned to monitor.

Many thanks once again

Co9

5. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Am trying the CLR CMOS route Bruce - have tried this before with the jumpers but didn't remove battery - No joy so will leave battery out for 48 hours as one other has suggested. Also - tested PSU - all voltages running & fine !

Thanks for your help Bruce

Co9

6. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Problem Solved - Removed battery and jumpers for well over 48 hours then replaced - system now with initial post bleep and working as good as new with normal output to screen

Thankyou for your help and support!

Co9

7. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Please see posts:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Clearing CMOS can resolve many issues be aware though that this could indicate that the battery is on it's way out and may need replacing at some point in the future.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?