No sound, no mixer etc

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Oct 6, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Bit of a mystery problem and i have to get it sorted by noon!

I have a PC with onboard Sigmatel audio. Apparently the sound just stopped working. The driver is installed ok and all looks good in device manager.

[​IMG]

But there is no volume control. In CP/sound and audio devices both the "mute" and "place volume icon in the taskbar" are greyed out".

[​IMG]

If i try and run sndvol32.exe direct i get a "there are no mixer devices available please install one etc..."

But if i go to DM and open the Sigmatel C-major audio device and click on properties it is showing a mixer device installed.

[​IMG]

I have check the the windows audio service is running

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Have you tried to uninstall the whole thing through device manager and then scan for hardware changes???

Other than that, how about a new sound card or one that you could borrow, when i diagnose i always use the process of elimanation,

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Yup tried uninstalling and scanning a few times also tried to find different Sigmatel drivers, have also installed the intel chipset driver. Bizarre, i suppose i can only try a PCI soundcard as you say.

Tried system restore, sfc /scannow and am about to reinstall SP3 see if that does it.

OH and the audio is on its on IRQ so no probelms there.

Would a repair install be a good idea?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Uninstall the device in device manager, use ccleaner to do the registry then do a reboot and windows should detect it again after the reboot.

If that fails you could uninstall the drivers and do the above then reboot and reinstall the drivers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I have actually uninstalled quite a few times rebooted etc... and it picks it up and all looks good but still no vol control.

I will try regclean but i have feeliing something tricky is going on, some key setting has been changed.

Problem is that the Sigmatel drivers are not easy to find and there seems to be a few strains, i found a few on the net but none would install, the driver already installed is only one working.

The ID of the Sigmatel device is, VEN_8086 DEV_24C5

If i wanted to clear all drivers i would have to remove them manually from c:\windows\inf right?

Ok i notce now after a system restore i am back to getting a an error in DM, this error was here when i started on the PC but i download some driver to fix it, this give any clues?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

7. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster