NO EXPERIENCE

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by spy22, Oct 22, 2007.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

currently studying towards mcse, only at first stage at the moment (A+ essentials) and could do with trying to find any sort of work to get my feet off the ground!>?

n e ideas on where to start looking (im clueless) or what n e of you guys did to start off would be much appreciated!?

thanx

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I started off as a field service tech, going out to companies and fixing their PCs, printers, whatever. I was turned on to the position because someone who used to work with me at another company knew I was good with computers, and they had a position to fill (which is why I recommend networking with people in the IT field... sometimes, it's not what you know, but WHO you know).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

did you text this?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/

My first full time job was on a corporate helpdesk. Lots of "have you tried rebooting it" type calls but you have to start somewhere! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael

Looks that way... on a keyboard, "a-n-y" takes as many key strokes as "n-space-e", and looks MUCH more professional.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL BM! I didn't realise that!!! :) :) :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Spy (no no, I won't go for the joke...)

I initially whetted my whistle in IT by gawking over the shoulder of the Tech/Sys Admin/Programmer/Lady that made the coffee at work.

I started learning my A+, and when she came to leave, I became the 'go to' person at that company with regards to IT - unfortunately, they never actually truly replaced her job role.

However, she called me from the company she moved to, saying they needed first line Techs. By this point, I was well underway to the N+ too. I applied, and the rest is history.

The biggest bit of advice I'll give you though is, if you're just starting out in the industry, make sure you've landed your first IT job before you get MCSE certified - MCSE certification is seen as an advanced cert, which requires years of experience - it'll be hard to land your first IT job with that dangling off your CV.

If you have problems finding a job, why not see what charities there are in your local area, and see if they need volunteers. Alternatively, start a study/teaching group. That'll help reinforce what you know, and will prove your ability to deal with people.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Big thanx to those useful responses!!

If i wanted grammer advice I would have asked, thankyou! sarcasm makes you not want to bother even posting sometimes. :dry

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dude don't take it personally, its just that people would prefer normal English as some people on here are older and don't understand it and there are others who just thinks its annoying. I am the latter I 'm afraid.

My gramma isn't the best but I try to type as I would speak although my crazy typing gets in the way sometimes and type things like MSCE instead of MCSE.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael

It's not sarcasm; it's an attempt to evoke professionalism. If you're looking for IT jobs, you just might find your next hiring manager HERE on this very forum. The last thing you should want to do is use txt spk and come across to others as lazy or unprofessional.

Like I said in my response to you... sometimes, it's not what you know, but WHO you know. You meet them every day... including here.

11. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Appreciate the comment bruce thanx, my grammer is fine and i will take that into account and i will type as i speak from now on.

just being lazy i suppose :blink

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Why, you hiring, Hippy Hater :tongue

All good advice here, Spy. Good luck with your hunting. Whilst you're having a gander, you might also want to check out this article

Nothing wrong with a bit of self-indulging :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. greenbrucelee

Giz a job then Mike :D

14. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

I appreciate what you mean with regards to professionalism and i do agree with you definately, i just meant it in the context of the fact that i use this site to gain advice from experts and enthusiasts like yourself and grammer within a cert forum is the least of my worries as i am trying to learn! like i said from now on i will be using correct grammer, but the fact that i have used slang does not make me unprofessional or even lazy! dont mean to moan or offend anyone i just wanted to clear that up.

thankyou

15. BosonMichael

Grammar within a cert forum is not the least of your worries. For example, I was hiring for my replacement at my last job, and I asked TWO people who I had met on the forums to come and apply. Had they come across with txt speak and/or a bad attitude, I'd have not asked them. Another example - based on the contacts I made on the forums, I was asked to take over operations of a certification practice exam company (which I ultimately declined in order to create my own) and was asked to write a book (which I ultimately accepted). Had I not displayed a professional attitude and writing style, I'd have not been asked to do either.

I never said you were definitely unprofessional or lazy... I merely said that that's the perception, justified or otherwise, that some people will have if you use txt spk or poor grammar.

16. BosonMichael

Can you write, and are you willing to move to Nashville? :)

17. BosonMichael

You know where I stand on that issue. 8)

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Oh dear, my passport expired last month and cannot afford to get it replaced at the moment :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. greenbrucelee

Yes & Yes. I can do the Willie Nelson thing :)

Will you pay the plane ride?

20. BosonMichael

If I could pay the plane ride, I'd be coming to the GTG! :biggrin