No DSL light on voyager modem?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by shaggy, Apr 15, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Got a callout to a BT customer tomorow because they have no DSL light lighting up on their modem, the machine is running XP and is connected via ethernet

The connection has previously worked

any ideas before i go out because these issues are one of my weak spots

thanks

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Hi mate

Have known those modems to be faulty in the past, would bring replacement connection cables, modem. If not maybe LAN card is faulty ??

Just my thoughts :) Let us know.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi,

Has the user contacted bt to ensure there isnt an issue their end, saves wasting your time and their money. but if there is not DSL light then its either the provider or the modem thats at fault, so yes spare modem cables, filters modem if you have one would be good. The things ISP's give out are absolute rubbish but they are much better than the frog modems and original voyagers they used to hand out. (the amount of times those have caused issues on my old customers machines)!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

thanks for the quick reply, i figured it would most likely be down to a hardware fault as connections dont just suddenly stop working otherwise

and yeah the customer has contcted BT, hence why i have been called, the company i work for has a contract with BT you see, i hate the BT jobs i get, always internet connection faults!

thanks again

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Shaggy;

* Check the customer has paid their bill! Seems daft, but i spent over 30 minutes on one customer to find this out!

* Has the DSL login and password been altered? If the connection drops out or becomes slow, some people like to have another guess at these!

* Disconnect everything at the home except the DSL device (no filter). With the correct login and password, watch the DSL light. Does it attempt to sync?

* Connection. Is it USB or ethernet? USB adds another overhead and further software. If possible, connect via ethernet.

* Can you open the config page (or software of the device). What does it display? Some people mistake the DSL light for something else. If not, there is an issue between the computer and DSL device. If you can, can you ping anything outside the network? bbc and google reply to ping.

* Exchange checker and BT fault line test. By this time, if no success, you will have to contact the provider.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Great post Boyce !

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't live anywhere near me do you?

I've had no Broadband since last Wednesday. Maybe I can help by passing on the advice I get from the BT helpline EVERY TIME I PHONE THEM.

1) Make sure that your hub is connceted to the phone socket. You never know kids!

2) Stare at the flickering lights for a while.

3) Unplug all the wires and cables connected to your hub. To be on the safe side, put them in a different room for five minutes.

4) Plug everything back in and stare at the lights again.

5) Still not working? Oh, see the 'reset' button? Press that for 20 seconds.

6) Oh dear. Tell you what, I'll do some work now and press this button that says 'test phone line'. You take a break and hold the line at a premium rate for about 5 minutes.

7) Hmm. There seems to be a fault, and I will refer this to the faults department. They will call you back in five minutes/or when you are next on the bog-in the bath-at the shops. If they don't, here is their even more premium rate number.

8) Several hours later, on an even more premium rate number, go back to 1 and repeat entire process up until 7.

9) Hmm. There seems to be a fault. Yes, and you are the faults department which it was why it was referred to you.

10) OK, this is a very major fault and the engineers are working on it.
    So why isn't it listed on your known faults list?
    Sorry?
    Well, if it's a major fault, why didn't you already know about it, and why isn't it listed with your other known outages.
    Err, you see I tested your line and it seems...
    And why isn't it affecting the guy next door?
    Excuse me?
    Well if there is a major fault in the area which has taken your engineers nearly a week to fix, you think it would affect more than one person.
    Well I have tested your line and...
    CLICK

11) Go back to 1 and start again.

:twisted:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Geez Jonny - I pray for the poor soul who has you on the other end!

9. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Feeling a bit aggrieved there Jonny? :)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I guess it isn't "back up" tonight. :x :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

First rule, unplug the modem and wait a while and plug it back in, this cures most problems.

The DSL light should sync regardless of whether the modem is connected to the PC or not as the connection is usually handled by the modem itself.

If you reset the modem you will return it to factory defaults and you will need the correct username and password to set it up again.

Unplug any other telephony device on the same line.

Plug a handset into the line and check for crackles and a dial tone etc.

Try another ADSL modem to eliminate that.

Then ring BT and put your feet up for an hour whilst they give you the Jonny runaround and eventually fix the problem at their end :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could always colour in the dsl led with a felt tip pen and pretend it's working :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I forgot to mention that you have to read my post with an accent a bit like Peter Sellers from The Party, and not leave any spaces in between the words.

Tanjewberrymud for calling BeeTeetodalbroadpant.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD