No Dial up

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, Oct 9, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just come back from my mum-in-laws and spent the whole weekend trying to get her dial-up working. Every time she trys to use the modem, all that comes up is "No Dial Tone".

Right the setup in her house is that there is an extension run from the BT master socket through to the study and there is a phone on the master socket as well. In the study the extension socket has a double adaptor with a phone/answer machine and the cable to the modem. Now here's the weird bit. When the modem is plugged into the phone line the dial tone is very, very faint. Unplug it and no problems. Unplug the phone and plug in the modem still reports no dial tone, plug the phone back in and it constantly ring. Not a ring tone just a constant ring.

Now I have replaced telephone cables and wired directly to the master socket. Still the same happens so that leads me to think it is the phone line itself or the modem. Tried a different modem and the same happens. Called BT and they said that the "gain" on the line was low and they increased that to the max, but nothing has changed. You can make a normal phone call but the modem still reports no dial tone. As I was setting up a new pc for her I reinstalled XP just to be sure that there was no nasties on there but that made no difference either. She has all of her calls routed at the exchange through British Gas and BT now tell me to contact them as it could be something to do with the routing.

Oh and I made sure that the modem was set up for the UK, tone dial and that you PC could comunicate with the modem.

Brought her machine back with me so that I can try it from work.

What have I missed. :blink:blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is this Carrier Pre-Select (CPS) ? Generally with CPS, you either connect thru a dedicated box (the old way), or more recently, enter a pre-fix before the dial-tone.

Strange indeed, m8y :blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

more like least cost routing LCR where the calls are routed at the BT exchange

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It sounds strange to me too AJ, especially as you have tried a different modem and the symptoms stays the same. I would guess at this point that it is a line fault and not anything to do with the PC/modem but the symptoms you describe I have never seen before and I have quite a bit of experience with internal and external modems. For years I was responsible for spamming a fax mailing list with 80000 faxes a month. I did this by using 30 computers all with fax/data modems but I never had an issue like yours!

Let us know if it works on your line.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I am with Jak on this one...some CPS use prefixes to dial out and if I remember right from my time working for BT Faults (cos we got calls like this) British Gas use a prefix...try entering the prefix in the modem set up along with dial up number and see what happens there...also a note on the Gain increase from BT it takes 24hrs for that to kick in so I will try that next time your back at your mum-in-laws. other than that I cant think what else the problem might be...if anything else pops into my mind I will let u know...good luck mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes Noel, but I assume it worked before, so the question is, why has this suddenly happened?

The *no dial tone* message will appear *before* the modem dials any number, so that rules out an issue with a prefix for me!

Pete

7. AJ

thanks guys.

Yes it did work about 2 months ago, but nothing has changed.

The modem is set to wait for the dial tone before dialing.

I did get the modem working on another BT line dialing mums phone number, so again, I'm certain this isn't a H/W problem.

Phoned BT again today and they said it was done!!!!

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes u have a point...but its still safe to make sure the prefix is entered...heres one question tho...do u know if the line is shared? its whats known as DACS...when Bt has run out of lines to give to people for a number they split the line from another customer to allow the new customer to use the line...so that could also be a factor...cos normally the line is made up of two copper wires (correct me if I am wrong people) and when all these are used up they split them up to allow other people the lines...if u know what I mean...so find out if her line is shared...

EDIT: also check if she has no messages left on 1571...cos the line is giving out an intermittent dial tone it will be that and the modem cant recognise that dial tone...just a thought as I remember a call I had once when I was working for BT...for 6 months one customer couldnt connect to dial up, she got BT to check everything, the increased the gain and in the end I asked her if she was getting an intermittent dial tone and when she said yes I told her to check her messages on 1571 and then delete them...boy was she happy she spoke to me...

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Now that does sound plausible to me - good point!!

10. AJ

I know for sure that she doesn't have message waiting esp as she uses an answer phone and doesn't pay for that service.

11. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Ive had this problem with a couple of computers but i cant remember for sure how i sorted it.
    It was the same problem with the no dial tone, but the constant ring happened all the time untill i pulled the line out of the modem. When i put the line back in the ringing would happen again.
    I 'think' i just changed the modem and all was fine.
    But i think there was something with the extenstion too.

You have probably mentioned this before but could you clarify that;

1. You have tried an external modem with the computer.
    2. If this still doesnt work, unplug the extension and put the modem line directly into the phone line.
    3. If that dont work, If possible try a laptop plugged directly into phone line.

If none of these steps work then its probably safe to say its the phone line.

4. Try the computer into a line that you know works.

Neall

WIP: A+
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

How many phone extensions has she got (inc. modems, faxes etc)?
    I defer this to our ex-BT guru, but could it be an R.E.N. thing?
    Domestic phone lines will only support a certain number of extensions, usually 3 or 4. Some fancy devices can use up more than one of these.
    One way to find out is to plug a 'normal' phone into the socket you are using and see what happens.
    Note, it needs to be an additional phone (like the modem would be). You can't just move an existing phone within the house.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

your on the right track there Jonny mate..yes phone lines can only support 4 devices at a time hence why they have a REN of 4...if u wanted more on the line you can get whats known as a REN booster from either Dixons or Maplins...quite frankly I have never used one and never seen one either...but thats cos I only two devices plugged into the phone line...me phone and me Sky digital...but yes AJ thats one to look into...

14. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

The fact that it was working would rule this out though.

Neall

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That did occur to me when I wrote it, but the fact is that something HAS changed, by definition because it was working now it isn't.
    What we don't know is what that thing is.
    It could be a fault, or it could be something else that doesn't have any apparent relationship with the situation.
    It wouldn't necessarily occur to someone that putting another phone extension in the kitchen would affect their modem.
    Often a quiet, continuous ring is due to the capacitor in the main phone socket.
    It can indicate a REN overload or a fault in the wiring itself. Phone wires are delcate things.
    It's just a matter of ruling things out one at a time.
    What was it that Shelock Holmes said?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Agreed. But wouldn't the above rule this out?

Sorry, should have read the thread more thoroughly. Sounds to me like you have a narrowed it down enough yourself to blame the line.

Ruling out the modem by trying another one.

Ruling out the problems with extensions and other devices on the line by connecting it directly to the phone line.

Ruling out the computer by trying it on another line.

Only one thing i wasn't clear about, when you said you tried the modem on another line, did you mean the computer and modem or did you take the modem out and try it on another computer?

Neall

17. AJ

I thought about the REN thing as well. She has 2 phones and answer phone and the modem. That makes 4 for the REN.

I physically removed the pc from the house and used it on someone elses BT line. It worked with no problems.

18. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Going to be the Phone line then mate.
    I would phone BT and get them to run tests on there end.

Neall