NIC teaming improve performance

Discussion in 'Networks' started by garyb, May 13, 2008.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    We have IIS6 2GB RAM on 3GB Xeon processors which host our front end websites in a DMZ. This then connects to our SQL server on the LAN over 100Mb Full duplex, has worked fine for us. Lately we have had 3rd party design another website for us using .NET & lots of javascript, which now and again times out, not great experience for end user.

They have suggested using NIC teaming to improve the performance and ultimately stopping the timeouts on a machine that coped fine before this app. I have used various tools to monitor the traffic on this server and it appears to be no problem, is there any benefit for teaming NICs to iimprove performance?

Cheers

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

By NIC Teaming do you mean link aggregation? :hhhmmm

If you do, well it would depend on lots of other things such as what else is in the network and the size internet pipe.

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  3. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

They suggested NIC teaming, on my NIC its called Load balancing, but I think its more or less the same end. They want more throughput on the machine which I dont agree with. The NIC on IIS & SQL boxes are Gigabit but the LAN/DMZ ports on the firewall are only 100Mbps meaning the amount of data getting sent by IIS to SQL is always going to max of of 100Mbps anyway. Increasing available amount to 2GB on IIS is pointless in my eyes?

On your other question, the pipe is 2Mbps leased line and these are the onlky 2 boxes in that enviroment.

Cheers

4. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

Hi Gary, well I may stand corrected here but I can't see any benefit in what's being suggested either to be honest. You are, in effect going to be doing exactly as you suggest in your post.

Cheers and sorry I couldn't be of more use to you. :(

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  5. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

No worries, its always nice to hear someone else confirm your thoughts!

Thanx

G

6. vitamin

vitamin Bit Poster

Im going to add my 2 pence here too. Surley the problem could be 2Mb lease line causing the bottle neck at busy times rather than the DMZ. Just a thought.....

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Personally I think it's more to do with the new website's programming. If it was working before on the same two servers over the same connection to the internet, the only thing that's really changed (different than before) is the new website.

Might pay to get a second 3rd party in to check it over.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kind of NIC is in the server just now? Check for driver updates etc.Can you get any SNMP monitoring on the NIC? That would give you the info you need.

I would be surprised if the NIC is causing the issue here but you need the hard facts.

Edit: Any AV on the servers and if so have they be configured correctly?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs