NIC problem in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philbenson, Apr 12, 2010.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Hi Guys its a while since I posted.

I have a problem with my PC since I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago now. Basically whenever I start the machine from a cold boot, as soon as Windows has loaded, I get the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle next to the icon in the notification area. If I disable the NIC and then re-enable it the problem is resolved. I have to do this everytime I start Windows.

Anyone got any idea what is causing this?

Thanks

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

No idea but I had the same problem myself. Since I've got RTM version it seems to work fine.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

More information required, what NIC is it? what drivers are you using? what release of 7 (ie beta\rtm etc).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Its an Intel made mainboard and I'm using the built in NIC from that. I'm not sure exactly which board it is but when I installed 7 it recognised it straight away.

Its true that I haven't looked on the Intel drivers download page to see if there's a newer one available now. Will do that and let you know if that solves it.

Version of Windows 7 is a corporate copy of Ultimate from work for which we have a purchased product key.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  5. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Is the machine actually picking up a IP address before you disable/enable the nic?

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  6. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a driver problem?

You tried searching for a driver update yet mate?

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  7. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

try to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA