Nic Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Dec 1, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Does a nic card have any affect on the hostname of a machine?

Say for instance i imaged a machine with 2 nic card and for the imaging process I used the nic on the motherboard, then when I plugged it into the network, used the intel pro card?

Would that cause any issues, like seeing 2 computers with the same name for instance??

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Mac address is burnt into the hardware normally.
    Different brand nics will cause two different drivers to be installed on image.

Other than that no, I'm sure others will chip in but the hostname is either set on the machine or assigned by active directory when you join the domain.

BosonMichael likes this.
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

NICs aren't responsible for the generation of hostnames.

If your imaging software doesn't generate a hostname or doesn't clear the original hostname when you create your image, it is possible for a new system to have the same hostname of the original imaged system. Easy fix, though, just change it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You just need to ensure that you're image has drivers for both NICs, for the most part if it's a common card the driver may even be native to the OS, failing that just add it to the image.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA