Nexus 10

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by jvanassen, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I will be ordering the Nexus 10 later today now its come available was just wondering if anyone else will be also?

Ive never had a Android device but after playing around with my an old tablet on Andriod of my friends and seeing the specs etc i really cant wait to get my hands on this.

Obviously which tablet you buy has alot to do with what you want to use it for, my reason for buying one is for the commute to and from work where i would like something to watch my study videos on rather than my Iphone 5.

Really impressed with its features. Read reviews on iPad 4, Surface, Nexus 10 on techradar.com and they hardly had a bad thing to say about the Nexus.

I really liked the look and idea of the Surface but after reading the techradar review and seeing some of the bad points about it ive been disapointinly put off.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. jvanassen

Just me it seems then haha.

Cant wait to get my hands onit, shame it sold out within like an hour of going on sale and you cant eve place your order now :(

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I already have a Motorola Xoom, don't think I'll be buying the Nexus 10. What I am waiting for is the Surface Pro. If I get that, I'll be selling my Xoom.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. jvanassen

I really wanted the surface and loved the look and idea of it but after reading the review on techradar i was quite put off.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just wait for the pro....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I'm enjoying my Surface, but then again I'm likely to say that. Typing this on mine in the train on the way to Zurich coincidentally and just finished making a Powerpoint presentation on it, which is a plus for me. The recent Firmware update has improved loading times quite a bit. But it clearly hasn't got the 'market' that iOS or Android has.

My Xoom is now gathering dust...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've got a xoom too and I love it to bits, however I must say that windows on a tablet does sound like a very tempting proposition indeed. I'm mainly a android chappie myself but I must investigate the surface a bit more. If that doesn't fit the bill for me then when renewal time comes up i'll I'm sure the nexus will be high on my list of probable devices.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The xoom is a good tab no doubt... I think for my job, I could really benefit from a Windows tablet.

9. jvanassen

Reading this has got me contemplating again whether choosing a Nexus over a Surface is the right thing to do lol. I spent about an hour on techradar reading the reviews of the Ipad, Nexus & Surface and what put me off the Surface was:

Slow loading times - Although they stated this was fixable as this processor works fine in other tablets - in which Shinigami states they've actually just fixed.

Low Res & quality screen compared to Nexus - OK probably not a big deal in terms of productivity but my main reason for getting a tablet is to watch study videos on the train to work - I don't need a decent screen for that but still the idea of a nice screen drawed me towards the Nexus

The 3rd bad point that they stated was the fact of there being no apps currently and who knows how long its going to take for the app store to be populated, and who knows by the time it is populated maybe there will be a Surface 2.

Im actually still waiting to order the Nexus since its been sold out since the day it went on sale but now youve got me thinking again.....

10. Shinigami

There's now nearly 20,000 apps in the Windows 8 Market and growing by 300-500 apps a day. It's a start, but a far cry from some of the great applications available to iOS and Android.

But if you get a non-RT tablet (e.g. the Pro which has a much higher resolution than the RT), you'll also be able to benefit from the millions of x86/x64 apps already out for W8 or W7. However, it won't be as cheap as the Nexus. Intel's mobile CPU's (the Pro will probably come with an i5) are quite expensive due to the various optimizations they do to power usage and the like. It's also be a more power hungry device and supposedly a few millimeters thicker.

Anandtech has a rather fair review of the Surface RT. I think they cover it's pros and cons rather well: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/microsoft-surface-review/

As a geek and a techie, I do expect quite a lot from the devices I use, but I'm also not your average bloke in that devices (computers/notebooks/phones/tablets) for me should provide productivity and play (I'm a bit computer gamer). Not just one or the other. As such, I never truly warmed up to the iPad, and I got the Xoom a year ago to get an understanding of Android devices and functionality in general (I already had an iPhone given to me by a previous company I worked for, so I had a pretty good feel of what to expect from Apple's ecosystem as well). I've yet to see the Nexus screen so I don't know how beautiful it might be, I do hope it'll be smooth as you need a fairly hefty video card to render such a higher resolution smoothly.

I'm certainly looking forward to the Pro (and as a Microsoft employee, I want to first check out our offerings before going for the admittedly very sleek ones from Samsung and Asus), as I can then domain join the device and gain access to the full offerings from our corporate network. But I've managed to get work done on the RT and this has proven to be a positive experience so far :) Sadly, no VPN app yet, but there's RDP capabilities.

In the end it's your money, choose that which makes most sense to you and fits your needs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    Bluerinse likes this.
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Great reply mate.

Any idea how this will work with Citrix and access through Citrix Access Gateway?

Not looked at any of these devises, but with Christmas coming, I can see a whole lot of new stuff coming our way.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. Shinigami

I don't know how it'll work with Citrix, worth asking the vendor if they support the RT OS. I just downloaded (but did not test) an RDP app available in the Market place.

- - - Updated - - -

I just took a look, and the Market place has an application called "Citrix Receiver" published by Citrix themselves. I found a site with some additional information: http://www.microsoftnow.com/2012/11/available-now-citrix-receiver-for-windows-rtwindows-8.html

Also, I just did a quick check and typed 'mstsc' in the RUN box of my Surface RT, and the RDP tool native to Windows is included as well, but the RDP Application I downloaded in the Market place may be more touch friendly.

13. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  14. jvanassen

I did get the Nexus 10 in the end, i saw it come back available to order on Tuesday night, ordered it to which it said i could expect it in 2-3 weeks then next thing i know it turned up 2 days later on Thursday lol.

Things to note; this is my first android device and ive never had a tablet before. Ive also had an IPhone as my mobile for the last few years.

Got to say i love the Nexus 10 and everything about the Android system, im very tempted to now sell my Iphone and get a android based phone. Ive always been told how open the Android system is but to actually use to has made me relise how good it is. Just simple things like if i wanted to put a video on my iphone i would have to convert it to the right format using a application then put it onto the device with itunes.

Where as now with my Nexus 10 Android tablet im just browsing to my NAS over the wifi, not caring what filetype it is and just copying it over to the tablet and then watching it.

Theres so much more to do on Android and not only this but ive got to say the Nexus 10 graphics/screen display is amazing!!

For anyone else using an android based tablet who are doing all sorts onit - Do you bother with these antivirus applications? are they worthwhile on a tablet?

Such a simple thing which you just arent able to do with Apple products.

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive got an ipad 2, dont really think there is much that can compete, especially for the amount of apps, was thinking of getting a nexus 7 tho, just so i can play around with it more than anything else :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house