Next Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Aug 20, 2004.

?

Future Upgrade plans

1. 2.0 - 2.5 Ghz

6.7%
  2. 2.5 - 3.0 Ghz

6.7%
  3. 3.0+ Ghz

53.3%
  4. Standard AGP/PCI Bus

6.7%
  5. PCI Express Baby!!

40.0%
  6. Standard IDE / PATA

6.7%
  7. Serial ATA Generation 1

26.7%
  8. Serial ATA Generation 2

6.7%
  9. Just a bloody CRT monitor :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. LCD for sure!!

40.0%
  1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I am curious to find out if certforums users follow the same trends as most IT techs (being alot of you are 'up and coming techs' in that your computers are generally kept more upto date than most normal users, and updated more frequently

Please select multiple choices pertaining to your next planned upgrade :)

To Clarify
    I already have an LCD and SATA disks, so thats not a problem, i will however be migrating to pure SATA as soon as its feasable, and will be getting another LCD or two

my next machine will be a 3.6Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott 64 bit with 1MB L2 Cache (Socket T)
    DDR2 Memory (2GB)
    SATA hard disk
    nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI Express card (256MB GDDR3)

all that for under a grand, not bad considering what a grand used to get me hehe :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm definitely interested in the BTX form factor.

I'll need to do even more research and sort out what I need.
    I'm really keen on getting a new machine at the moment, and this time I want to do it right, I mean get it spot on.
    So I'll be asking mucho questions.

I'll be boosting my RAM also, to at least 2GB's.

My current processor on my laptop is an 2.8GHz intel, which I'm happy with.
    I think I'll stick with this, well definitely stay with intel unless otherwise swayed.Maybe up the speed to 3+, may not.

Of course loads of disk storage also, say 180GB minimum.

Also DVD/RW drive, but I'm not sure if this is a main requirement yet.I'll see if other's who have this think it's worth the extra cost.

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I wanna flat screen but it all comes down to £ notes :cry:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

can we add an option for "a whole new darn system baby yeah!" thats my next "upgrade" (currently using a toshiba laptop thats woefully inadequate for gaming, etc. although i believe i intend to get the new BTX form factor.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yeah my laptop is gurgling now, I had to turn it off, it sounds awful.
    Anyway, that aside, I'd love a whole new system also Fergal.

I'd have to have a flat screen I think, I couldn't go back to using CRT all the time.The things give me migrains after a while, even when the refresh set is set adequately.
    I'd want the biggest screen I can afford, I just wish they'd get a bit cheaper :(

Have you seen any systems you like yet Fergal, or will you build your own?
    I don't think I'd build my own.I know people say it's pretty easy, but I'd prefer to get a built system whith plenty of options for upgrading.

Are there many BTX systems out there yet?

I'd also think a lot about who I buy a system from.

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well for me my next upgrade will include a 256MB AGP card, minimum 120GB HDD preferrably SATA (my mobo has this option already)..question can you have an IDE and SATA HDD running in the same machine or is that a recipe for disaster? and of course a 16x DVD writer cos I will be copying lots of stuff. possibly a bigger LCD (15" at the mo and its good), think I can live with my CPU for now since its overclocked to 2.2Ghz but if I want the AMD 64 CPUs I need a whole new mobo and I have only had this machine since Jan 2004 so it needs some updating here and there. the only major problem like most of us is ££££ and knowing Lou she doesnt understand the concept of upgrading PCs after a few months but one day she will come round.

EDIT: like others I will do more research about PCI Express and BTX form factor so I know what I'll be up against in the coming months to years.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

im looking at a BTX MOBO, about 2 gig of RAM if i can, probably a SATA RAID array (though not sure which) with each HDD being about 120 - 200gig. another HDD (maybe about 50gig if that) for Linux. a PCI-X video cards (prolly 128-256MB), a decent sound card (PCI-X too if any are around and decent quality).

most likely looking at a high end AMD chip, though not sure what yet, with silent liquid cooling (theres a review of one at the back of PCPRO a few months ago). a DVD-RW (maybe a second drive for CD-RW, but prolly not). the MOBO will need to have gigabit ethernet, and USB 2. firewire if it does, but im happy to forgoe that!

im also looking at a 21" TFT monitor (costing about 1.5k by the looks of things) thats, hopefully, able to actually run games decently.

thats about it tbh! lol.

Fergal

oh, and XP PRO, or Longhorn PRO depending on whenever i get the money for it (quite a while away)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

ok no need for a 'full system' option, these options are independent of that, it just means will u be upgrading to a 2.5, or will you be upgrading to a 3.0, be it system based or just a little hardware

yes you can use both drives together
    be careful using SATA as a boot drive as addition driver requirements are often required at the moment to support them at boot

Longhorn is 2006 - 2007 ish at the earliest,hope you get an upgrade before then fergal lol

BTX form factor is nice, but not sure the advantages it would serve you guys lol
    its nothing revolutionary

the Coolermaster Stacker case im getting for my server is adaptable from ATX to BTX which i think is nice :)

Noel, my current machine was only got in Jan 2004 as well :)
    but lots of developments this year!

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'll be looking at 3+ GHz, SATA, a Flat screen and a DVD-RW sometime in the new year as I've just done a round of upgrades (you might have noticed).[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Have you nugget really !:)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

nows a pretty good time to get DVD writers,
    OC.co.uk has the LiteOn DVD +/- RWs either 8x Dual Layer or 12x for about 50 quid a piece
    gee when i bought mine they were 150 :P

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well go to Ebuyer Phoenix..they have 16x DVD writers for as low as 60-70 quid!!! and its dual layer!!! I know what I want for christmas now mummy!!! :rolleyes: :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

but theres no point
    by the time theres any reliable 16x media they will of dropped in price, no point paying for a feature thats at present - useless
    its hard enough finding reliable 8x and 12x media

14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Lol:!:, please expand why not.

From what I've read, it helps keep the system cooler because the CPU is situated in a more suitable position.The fans won't have to work as hard, thus less noise.
    Also, won't future devices be built to be compatible with BTX.

Therefore wouldn't it make sense to go for BTX now, rather than have to upgrade yet again soon after buying an ATX machine?

Honestly, I'm clueless of course, so I'm ready to be enlightened.

I want to get another machine.I really need mucho RAM (2GB preferably) and a decent enough graphics card and CPU.
    I want it to run VMWare well.

Come on guys, put your necks on the line and recommend a system for me.I can't be bothered with my blo$dy useless laptop anymore.
    You know my requirements, and my above questions, so let's have it:!:

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

oh im not suggesting not getting btx
    it just poses very few technical advantages
    it moves the processor and capacitors around on the board and changes its shape and form factor

this helps cooling yes
    but its unlikely that it will require less cooling, it will just be more efficiant, and help to preserve the life of components

problem is getting BTX components!
    if your next upgrades over a year off its fine, but its hard to find BTX cases and mobos at present, and seems that way in the near future

just saying it has very little technical advantage
    especially with modern processors being miniture bbqs

16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, it's still early in the process.
    I think 2005 will be the year when components for BTX become more mainstream.

If I get a new ATX system now, I'll have had it a year by the time BTX is the norm, at the least.
    And it's not like they're going to stop making ATX compatible components any day now is it lol:!:

Just making sure I get it right this time.

There's so much choice, it's ahrd to know what to go for.

I've only eer had my celeron machine and my laptop,a nd played around with other peoples various pc's, and family emmbers pc's.
    I ahven't got the past experience of knowing what I should go for.I don't want to waste any money getting what I want, so loads of advice needed.

:biggrin