Next move

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by IgorT, Sep 4, 2009.

1. IgorT

IgorT Bit Poster

Hello guys, i`m currently on A+ 220-602 and will have exam in about 2 months time, i like Database and Security systems, just wondering if anyone who had A+Security, is it worth for me to take it next, i`m also thinking about other courses to do to extend my knowledge in IT as much as i can, i will be appreciate for any clues...

Certifications: Comptia A+601,602
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No such animal as A+Security. You probably mean Security+, which is not going to do you much good if you're just starting an IT career. You'd be better served by pursuing Network+ and the MCDST.

Companies aren't going to let someone jump into database administration or security administration from zero with no IT experience, certified or not. You've gotta work up to those jobs.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Agreed, you will need some previous experience to land a Security or hefty DB related position. But hey, use your time carefully to perfect your skills and you'll come out on top.

Personally I think that the Security+ exam itself, does not go into very much detail and can be passed quite rapidly using a bout of common sense and book learned theory. Simply put, the study material for Security+ is more impressive than the exam itself (however, it's been 5 years since I passed it, things may have changed).

That said, Security in some instances IS a lot about theory, so having a good understanding of it and a cert like Security+ may give potential employers an more positive view on you. Once you wish to get past the entry level positions, you need to start digging at the more obscure side of things, penetration testing, system hardening, log analysis and more... and then you can attempt the high-end certs such as CISSP (but I'd say that is many years down the road for you).

My DB skills are poor, can't help you much with that.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM