Next CCENT/CCNA Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Aug 26, 2009.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sooooo end of summer and the whole plan to get the CCENT out the way turned out to be a bit of a failure.. ended up working longer than i thought and once you just completed your degree when it comes to playing on a router vs beach or beer i think the later won! :biggrin anyway to cut a story short.. when would the next upgrade be out? im sure i could nail the ccent in no time if i got down to it but going back to uni in sept aint going to open a chance to do it... ideas please? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have heard no rumblings about upcoming changes to the CCENT or CCNA exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Cisco last re-jigged the CCNA back in 2007, before that I believe they gave the whole CCNA a real shake up in 2003.

I reckon another year and we might be looking at another change in the CCNA, can't imagine what they will stick in. Might remove Frame which would be a shame and replace it with a bit of MPLS.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  4. BosonMichael

Nah, no MPLS, not at the CCNA level. They only recently added that to the CCNP. In truth, that should be a CCIP-only topic - only service providers have to deal with it, really.

Still, I agree with your assessment that there will likely be a change next year, probably adding more SDM (Lord forbid!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so next yr does sound like upgrade time hmm... im really annoyed i didnt do it this summer cause i got a fair amount of kit i have put together slowly and im worried it will go to waste once the upgrade comes out :(

6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

N0 MORE SDM, i dislike teaching it, it's pointless and makes people lazy that they forget their commands. BAN SDM FROM THE CCNA!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  7. oush

oush Byte Poster

From what I understand, cisco have already started re-jigging the CCIE syllabus i think there bringing the new one out in september this year and I belive they are working there way down, I think its June / July next year which they will bring out the new CCNA syllabus!

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  8. BosonMichael

Didn't they just redo the CCIE R&S? :blink

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Zimbo, I recently passed the CCENT, and wrote a study guide about it here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

CCNA will probably be stable for a while. The CCIE R/S has major changes coming up in October, moving to a two part lab, and adding mpls and vpn. Also, a bit of a hardware refresh for the lab as well.

Spice Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

The very first Cisco exam that conferred CCNA certification was the 640-407 CCNA exam that was replaced by the 640-507 CCNA exam. The 640-507 CCNA exam was replaced by the 640-607 CCNA exam. The 640-607 CCNA exam was retired on September 30, 2003 and was replaced by the 640-801 CCNA exam. The 640-801 CCNA exam was retired on November 6, 2007 and replaced by the 640-802 CCNA exam. So since there was approximately 4 years difference between the 640-607 CCNA exam retirement and the 640-801 CCNA exam retirement, it is reasonable to extrapolate based on current data, that the 640-802 CCNA exam may be retired some time in the year 2011.

Source:
    1. Retired Certification Exams - IT Certification and Career Paths @ cisco.com - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_retired_certification_exams_list.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Now thats what I thought! :biggrin does Cisco give grace period if you complete one of the two exams?

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

By taking and passing the 640-822 ICND1 exam the following occurs:
    1. You become CCENT certified.
    2. You have 3 years TO THE DAY you pass the 640-822 ICND1 to take and pass 640-816 ICND2 exam to complete the requirements to become CCNA certified.

If you take and pass the 640-816 ICND2 exam 3 years AND A DAY since you took and passed the 640-822 ICND1 exam, then you will not become CCNA certified because your 640-822 ICND1 exam results have expired. Once expired, you must start the CCNA certification process again from the beginning.

So think of the 3 years TO THE DAY to be your "grace period."

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA