newcomer

Discussion in 'A+' started by shaggy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

hello everyone

been reading the forums for a few hours now, just want to make sure ive got everything clear

the A+ cert consists of 2 exams (minimum) each of 100 questions?

i dont have to take the 2003? i can go straight for the 2006? correct?

the best book for me to learn from is Meyers? i understand theres a few editions, whats the latest? all around £30?
    can i sucessfully pass the A+ with this book? as my budget is fairly tight

i already have a BND in systems support and networking and ive covered the basics of most of the objectives i have seen, obviously i know ill be required to study each of them in more detail.

I came across www.comtia-certification.co.uk and from their demo it seems like a good way to learn all of the areas i need to, but i heard of 'braindumpers'? just wanted to make sure it wasnt one of these and if anyone has an experience with this particular company?

When it comes to booking my exam theres only 2 UK companys that do it right? also, out of interest, how long have most of you studied the cert for?

thanks for any help

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Welcome to the forum Shaggy.

The Meyers book comes very highly recommended on the forum (though I have never used it myself).

You can go straight into the 2006 exam without having to take the 2003 first and you need to take two exams to gain A+ certification: the essentials exam and one other (with the technician exam being the most general one and the one Comptia recommend unless your job is closely related to the other two exams.)

Check out www.getcertify4less.com for some good deals on vouchers to book your exam with (be sure to get the international vouchers and not the USA/Canada ones).

There are some great members here and they will all give you great advice on the best route to your A+ certification.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ACA
    WIP: Still to be decided!
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

First off, welcome to CF! :)

Now, lets break down your post...

The current A+ Cert consists of 4 exams, 1 of these you have to do (A+ Essentials) and you then pick an elective, which is 1 exam out of a possible 3. (A+ IT Technician, A+ Depot Technician or Remote Support Technician).

I believe the exams are 90 questions each, multiple choice, there are often 5-10 questions thrown in that you are not marked on, but are there for comptia research into new questions for the future!

Correct, the 2003 objectives/exams will no longer be available from June this year, so best to go for the 2006 objectives if your just starting out.

Meyers is a highly recommended book on these boards, so it cant be bad, you will need the 6th edition, which covers the 2006 objectives. I use A+ by Sybex which I find very informative, but its always good to have 2 books to cross reference incase one doesn't explain something enough for your personal needs.

Shaggy, "braindumpers" isnt a company, it is in fact a way of cheating to pass the exams. There are companies out there that use the actual exam questions to teach people the correct answers, but that is ALL they learn. Without learning the actual knowledge of the objectives, the cert is useless as it wont help you in real world situations. Braindump companies or users are highly looked down on by these boards! Avoid at ALL costs.

There are two companies that you can take the exam with, Prometric and VUE, thats something to think of in the future when your ready to book your exam.

Personally I have been studying on/off for the A+ Essentials for around 6 weeks, but everyone is different. It depends on how much time you can put into your studies and how motivated you are, some people pass in a month or two, while others can take a year or more!

Hope that helps,

Look forward to seeing you around the boards!

Paul

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Shaggy,

Welcome to the forum. I see you have had great advice already.

Good luck with your A+, ask away when you need help.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT