Newcastle or London?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Revolate, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

I have an offer from my uncle, I can move down London and live in his flat. He will only be there certain times as he only uses it when he can't be bothered to go to his main house. He pays £400 a week, so I hope he doesn't charge me alot! :dry But moving on, would getting a job down there be better than in newcastle? I know living expensives are alot more down there but so are the wages. Doesn't seem to be many jobs here. :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Move to Glasgow, plenty of jobs here! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

So kind of you to offer free board and a place for me to stay Sparky! :rolleyes:

Muhaha. :twisted: 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Now wait a minute here... :biggrin

Seriously though, the wages may be higher in London but so is cost of living. Also it takes about 2 days ( :wink: ) to get from one side of London to the other. Some people just dont settle in London but others really like it.

I guess you really need to apply for jobs first and see what kinda opportunities come up.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Making the move to London from way outside was a bit of a culture shock - I'm not particularly moved by all the glitz and glammer that seems to attract some people to London so for me that isn't necessarily a positive. If you are not in a job at the moment and have a place to return to if it doesn't work out then I would give it a go, if you are in a job in Newcastle then I'd have to think long and hard about how much having a job means to me compared to not having one.

As for London itself, if you are partying hard then it will cost you more I agree with Sparky on that, but as I don't, the biggest expense by far is my rent - £850 per month for a 2-bed maisonette - which I share half with my girlfriend, but I have mates who are renting for a lot less and have a nice 1-bed flat. The only other thing I would consider that is an expense that I wouldn't have as much if I lived elsewhere is the tube ticket - I'm proactive in getting around as cheap as possible so I live in zone 6 (the most expensive to travel to from the centre) and tend to only pay £90-110 a month.

If I lived with my parents, or at least in my parents town where I grew up, the bus would be about the same, maybe slightly less, but the opportunity for jobs is less, but the flip side is while there are more jobs in London, there may also be more competition for them.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293