newby trainig provider question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fastrhino, Oct 20, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

hi all, i am thinking of a change in direction in my career, i am 36 and currently work in engineering and have done so all my working life, i have dis-enchanted for awhile now and after seeing adverts in the press for a new and exciting career in IT, i am researching the possabilties for a realistic career change. i have read some of the previous posts on providers and opinions seem fairly split, i have spoken to NITLC and have had info from computeach and cerco. these are my queries, 1, what is the career prospects for a new MSCE entering the industry. 2, who is the best training provider it terms of quality of training. 3, what is realistic time scale for a layman to get through a MSCE cource asuming i konw nothing at all. all comments and opinions are welcome mick

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The MCSE is not an entry level certification, you are expected to have many years of experience to have achieved it. You will find it very difficult to achieve without the experience (even going through a training provider), and almost impossible to gain employment without the experience.

The honest answer to that one is yourself. Training providers can provide you with allsorts of materials, but only you can dedicate the time to learning the materials.

See answer One.

My honest advice to you would be to look at your local college and see what courses they offer, and if possible study with them. If they don't offer anything then go it alone, go out, buy books and PC's and do it yourself.

You will find that any problems you encounter may be resolvable by asking here, and you will save an absolute fortune.

8)

Welcome to CF BTW! 8)

3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

“Originally Posted by fastrhino
    1, what is the career prospects for a new MSCE entering the industry. ”

I'd consider A+, Network+ and then 3 Microsoft Certs to gain MCSA. Worry about the MCSE later on. It covers stuff you definitely won't be using straight away. Also consider CCNA.
    If you want to dip a toe in the water, yet still gain a good cert without committing an arm and a leg financially, try the Cisco Academy course that prepares you for CCNA - it takes a few months to complete, but the content is well worth it - Net+ will be a doddle afterwards.

As regards training providers, I'd not go for an entire block of courses, try one first. if they're good, you can do more. You need to be sure its the right path before committing thousands.

As to timescale, well, for MCSE, you're looking about 2 years of graft if you're starting from scratch.

Also, bear in mind you'll likely end up taking a pay cut initially...

That said, good luck if its what you want.. it IS possible, but takes willpower

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

with cerco you pay £4000 for a 4 week course that doesnt earn you any recognised certifications.
    i wouldnt recommend it.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

good point, though they do appear to have a decent reputation for placement. I'd ask if the qualifications are industry standard, and don't take their word for ie either. Check online to verify and try www.jobserve.com and similar to see how popular the cert is.

6. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

the NITLC course includes a+ and network+ i would not get the MS training materials until i have completed them, the course includes all the basic training i would need to bring me upto speed, cost £3900 inclusive of exams and study materials. i currently earn around16k for a 37.5 hr week with OT i can add £3k per yr i was quoted these types of pay 4 entry level rising to 20k plus when i complete my MSCE in 2 yrs, the hard bit is getting my foot in the door mick

WIP: A+
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Please don't believe anything that training providers say about starting salaries.

8)

8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i have a time limit of 2 years to do my MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA and CCNA. yikes!! and if i have time i will do A+ and MCSE:Security :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

you'd get 20k in London.. dunno about Bolton. 15 is about right for say, Northampton....

10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well, MCSA is a stepping stone to MCSE, so no worries there... what you're doing is tough ... I'd want to be able to devote a lot of time to it...

11. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Personally i'd reccomend A+ and then N+ to start with and progression to MCSE. please do not belive all these training companies promosing the world (i've worked for them for 10 years, not now!!) the key is experiance + training. with regards to training materials or courses it depends on how you learn best!

12. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

Dont take MCSE it is very very very difficult, wht if you paid £5,00 for the course and hated it after one month, if you asked for your money back they would say get lost.

Great article about networking last sunday time, 38,00 uk jobs in networking available by 2008 but you need to reall y find out if you lik enetworking and spend as little as possible finding ou.

Do the A+ first then network+ total abou £1,998 with www.learnit4less.co.uk i did it with them, then if you like networking do the CCNA dont touch the MCSE with a bargepole unless you hav e3 years experience in networking, another great course is security+.

MCSE has been th ecause of £7,000+ debts for a huge amount of people in the UK and the training providers are laughing to the bank, as over 75% give up on studying mcse it stoo hard and guess who keeps th ealreadty paid for MCSE exams at about £700 for th e7 exams YOU NO CHance its the training provider.

I had one from IT SKIlls tell me i would do the MCSE in 6 months, absolute crap, just look at th ewww.microsoft.com website they clearly say 18 months.

get some experience at a charity or school o help on your cv and do the pc repair there for free to get experience then apply to ntl, bt, pc world, c&w you should walk into an entry level it job with a= then offer to do the little networking jobs for free an dguess what they will soon be offering you a network job within the year, if not look for a network job