Newby on the scene!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ally27uk, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ally27uk

ally27uk New Member

Hi to all of you! i need some advice on where and how to start within the I.T industry in terms of choosing right career path for me. I have read about the feedback on JOSKOS and was very disappointed so im hoping i could get the right information on where to start and how to go around doing this right without ending in debt on false I.T courses and fake programmes!

My interest in I.T has always been to get into the maintenance and solution aspect of problem solving when it comes to I.T. I dont have any real technical qualifications or working experience. apart from a PC & maintenance repair certificate in city & guilds, GNVQ'S in I.T and business and a HND in I.T systems and networking. where is the best place to start in finding a career path and how do i go around choosing the right path?

Help me plz lol :(

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My advice would be to get some globally recognised certs. From what you have said the vendor neutral CompTIA A+ and Net+ would be your next ports of call. I would recommend that you self study these, so that you save your hard earned for other things like a couple of decent PCs to network and a few good books.

If you look in the A+ forum you will see that the Mike Myers A+ all in one, is the first book you should equip yourself with.

Remember hands on experience is as valuable to potential employers as certificates and that having both is the real key to advancement in this industry. Reading books and studying without hands on is a waste of time. You really must get stuck in and do the stuff.

You might want to consider doing some volunteer work whilst you are studying, this counts as experience and many people have benefited immensely from the people networking aspect of it as well.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with Bluerinse, I did my volunteer work, over here we call it stage, and I benefited from it, in fact it is the reason why I got this job that I am doing now in the first place.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Gooooood Moooooorning! :biggrin

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to the forum:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+