Newbie!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by richie.rich23, Mar 3, 2011.

1. richie.rich23

richie.rich23 New Member

Hi All,

Im a newbie - so hello!!

Looking for advice and gernal support really. I have been in the IT game for about 6 years now - from 1st line, to 2nd. Im now at a point in my career where it would be advantageous to have some qualifications as I have none at all.
    My main experience is hardware fix, and windows xp, AD with exposure to 2003 server. My network skills arent great, and could defo do with a boost.
    I was going to do the MCDST exams but i think they are about to expire, so really looking for advice on what qualification i should go for first to get me on the wagon as such, and progrss from there!

thanks
    Richie

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Richie :)

I'm very much in the same boat as yourself, i've been in IT for 5 years, and have tons of experience but no certs - been offered a role in infrastructure and server support, but need the exams to back me up! I've just passed the 70-680 which is part of the MCITP certification i'm working towards.

Would recommend starting on perhaps the MCTS: Windows 7 configuring - 70-680. (If you have prior experience of using 7 in work environment this'd be good) and also have a look at the CompTIA A+ & Network+

Grab yourself a couple of books for the exams and have a look through the material, i'm sure if you've been in the role you have now you'll run through these fairly easy - but always do some studying, and look at the exam's websites and check out the skill sets measured, and read up on any you're not sure of.

It also can depend on what role you are doing, or going to be doing as to which cert's would match your work the best, as there are a fair few you could do.

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/view-by-name.aspx - has a breakdown of all cert's and relevant exams for them

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud