Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by compwiz, Jan 8, 2007.

1. compwiz

compwiz New Member

Hi to all!

I'm currently holding a title of MCP of Windows 2000. Passed exam 70-215, 70-210, and 70-218. My plan was to take 70-290and I was thinking if I should continue with MCSA 2000 version or just go ahead with the the new version which is 2003. Please let me know what would be the best route for me.

Anyway, I currently lived in the US but would like to know if does it make any difference if your forum is located in UK? Thank you once again for having this forum and it seemed to me that this site would help me a lot for pursuing my IT certifications.

Cheers,
    Compwiz

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF compwiz.

With those three MCP's you are so close to being an MCSA on Windows 2000 that I would suggest you continue with that.

Check out this table..

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/requirements.mspx

You can see that a MCDST can be substituted for one of the electives, IMHO the other electives in that table are going to be a lot tougher than the MCDST, so why not go for this gimme and then take the one exam upgrade route to MCSA 2003?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF compwiz!

No you dont need to be in the uk! Im not in the uk and we have plenty of members from the US!

I think complete your MCSA on Windows 2000... you only need one more exam! Then upgrade to Server 2003 MCSA using exam 70-292. You have put in too much effort it seems just to start over!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi compwiz, and welcome to CF. :)

With three established MCPs under your belt, I'd have thought you may have your path worked out by now, but maybe not. I'm sure the Guys here will help you out :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well a couple of folks have said it so well....looks like you are already MCSA and possibly even MCSE bound.

Note that the MCSA and MCSE requirements are universal worldwide - hence the popularity of IT certification sites worldwide.

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Exam retirement have traditionally been announced a year in advance, during the summer. So if Microsoft holds true to how they've historically done things, you've got another year and a half (at least) to get your 2000 stuff out of the way. And thus, that's the path I suggest: get your 2000 done, then upgrade to 2003.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Welcome:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  8. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Update now ^^ Prepare for next generation of certs :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum m8 :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. compwiz

compwiz New Member

Dear all,

Thank you very very much for all of your answers. I felt like a very important person for the amount of responses and tips that you all have given me. I'll make sure to try and finish my 2000 version and just upgrade it to 2003.

Again, thank you very much to you all mates!

Cheers
    Compwiz :D

12. compwiz

compwiz New Member

Dear all,

One more question before I'll continue my study with mcsa 2000. When I went to microsoft's website, I'd see that the 70-216 is not part of the core exam anymore for mcsa 2000. It is elective now in which this is the exam that gave me a problem and failed it.

I'm planning to take the mcdst as my elective instead of the 70-216 that I've failed 5 years ago. After I will pass the mcdst, I'll go for 70-292 to upgrade to mcsa 2003.

Please give me all your thoughts about this.

Cheers to you all mates!
    Compwiz

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup, I think that is what I suggested in my first post and I still think it is the way forward for you. The upgrade exam to MCSA 2003 will be a toughy, but at least it is only one exam and hence affordable.

Pete

14. compwiz

compwiz New Member

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your answer Pete. One very last question. Do you think it is better to just take Comptia Security + which is only one test compare it to MCDST in which you'll need two test to claim it?

Again, thank you for your answer.

Cheers,
    Compwiz

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not sure how to compare the two as I haven't sat either. The Security+ might be of more benefit to you knowledge wise but the MCDST cert is probably going to be easier to attain. Again, don't take my word for this as I am just guessing. The difficulty of any exam is of course directly proportional to your interest, ability and previous knowledge of the subject matter 8)

16. compwiz

compwiz New Member

Thank you mate and you just answered my question.

Cheers,
    Compwiz

17. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house