Newbie to the Cert world!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Wizzkidd, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Wizzkidd

Wizzkidd New Member

Hi Guys,

My name's Dave, I've always been interested in IT. Always tinkering around with my Desktop PC and my Laptop and attempting to fix my friends computers etc.

Now I've decided to actually make a move on the IT scene, so I've decided to hopefully get myself certified with MCDST, Comp TIA A+ and MCITP.

I've enrolled on a self study course which will give me the MCDST and Comp TIA A+, they even said before the MCDST is about the retire, they'll throw in MCITP free of charge, which I was over the moon about. The course was roughly about £500.00, all the study material is from Sybex which I've heard mentioned around here.

Does that sound ok to start with?, any other things that might be worth looking into to help me to get my MCDST?.

Hope to chat to some of you in the future :)

Thanks,
    Dave.

WIP: MCDST & A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Umm... no. :blink If it's a self-study course, you can get all the books you need on Amazon for a fraction of the cost.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Wizzkidd

Wizzkidd New Member

Yea I looked into that but I get tutor support with it which would be highly valuable to me!, obviously before I found this site and realised how much help is free of charge :/.

Also I wasn't too sure if you could take the exams without being a part of some student body or other, nevermind. I'll know for next time lol!.

4. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Hi Whizz

So you still have to pay for the live exam I take it? What else did you get besides the books and tutor i.e video's, test suite.

Well I suppose it's done now and you'll know for next time :)

5. Wizzkidd

Wizzkidd New Member

Hi mate,

Yes I do unfortunately :( lol, Erm I got discs with videos on, test engine, flashcards, tutor support over the phone and email and obviously the study books and PDF versions of the books.

Haha yea, I'll definitely just get the books next time but I WILL be harassing this tutor with any questions I've got :P, there's plenty more certs I want so plenty of time to re-coup my money haha.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, you get tutor support here for free. 8)

Yes, you can take the exams at most testing centers without being a student.

Wish you had found us earlier!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Wizzkidd

Wizzkidd New Member

I know!, Ahh well I'll just get these finished and atleast I know in future!
    So glad it was £500.00! could have been muucchhh worse!

8. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

OH no :) that's not required.

Yes, you're heading in the right direction, with A+ and MCDST.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+