Newbie to SkillsTrain

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rabiul, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

HI there folks,

I am a newbie to Skills train, studying for A+ first, then N+ and then finally MCSA.

I am still waiting fo my teacher info via the post, just wanted to know how long this normally takes to all Skills Train students?

Hope to hear from you soon and make friends who will help me gain my certificates and a job in I.T, i hoepfully want to beocme a network engineer, but want a Helpdesk job first for experiance.

Thanks for hearing

Rab:biggrin

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Rab,

Sounds like a good plan with regards to the study plan and looking for Helpdesk work.

On Certforums, you will find a lot of people advocating the self-study route, as opposed to going with a Training Provider.

You have made your own choices for your own reasons, so good luck to you.

The answer to your question on studying length is, unfortunately, how long is a piece of string? It will depend on your existing industry knowledge and experience, combined with your enthusiasm for the subject. I took 9 months on the A+ with Skillstrain, and I suplemented their materials with the Mike Meyers All In One reference book.

I did my N+ in around the same amount of time; neither occasion was 9 months of solid study.

I wish you all the best with your studies; Certforums is also a great resource for all things studious, so I hope you stick around and enjoy the place :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

Hi there again

Just wanted to know how long did it take you for your teacher details to come through to you in the post? To tell you the truth i did not really look into skills train properly i think i might of made the wrong deceision of joining skillstrain (with all the negative feedback given to skillstrain). I have paid £75 already, and i am really worried if they are scamming me. I really want to get into IT and need help with studying (or i would gone for the preferred the self study method).

Is the Mike Meyers All In One reference book, worth getting?

Will be looking forward to your reply mate

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The Meyers book is always worth getting, so invest in a copy :)

My teaching materials came through within 3 days, and they have always been relatively prompt in their turnaround of my material. The only instances where they haven't been satisfactory, I complained like billio, and then stuff came through incredibly rapidly :biggrin

Skillstrain aren't 'scamming' you, because technically, they won't have lied to you at all. The main thing with training providers, is you have to do your research. A lot of people see the "wages" that you "could earn" once you certify in IT - that is the main marketing ploy of these companies. Trouble is, they take their 'average' wage for the industry, more than likely from some obtuse salary study of people with shedloads of experience in IT - it's not a fair perspective. But it's not a lie. You have to do your research.

The only way I think you can cancel without a strained-out Court proceeding is to cancel in your cooling off period (6 days after signing your contract). After that, it'll probably be difficult.

The only reason you have read a lot of negative about Skillstrain is because pi$$ed off people shout louder than happy people - that's an unfortunate fact in modern day society. Although I do fully advocate self-studying, I will defend Skillstrain's corner when I feel necessary because, as one of their students, I actually haven't had a bad time of things studying with them at all. Once I've completed the course (A+, N+, CCNA, CCNP - currently on CCNA) I will have had most of my 'course fees' refunded through official Cisco books I've been sent through, and refunds on exam fees. I personally believe they make most of their money by 'duping' people onto their courses - people who don't understand what they're getting into, and drop out.

They still make their money because the people that drop out cannot contest in Court that they should have their money back - they signed a contract which, to all intents and purposes, Skillstrain are honouring. So they will have to pay their full course fee, but never touch the materials. You might as well put up a neon sign saying "send me money, you'll enjoy it"

The only person who can get you into IT is yourself. If you don't feel going with Skillstrain was the right idea, then by all means try to cancel your agreement; if you are negative about the whole thing from the outset, you won't really be in the right frame of mind to study.

If you need any more advice on them, then feel free to drop me a PM. For further advice, you might want to check out our Articles section of the forum - there are a few guides in there on self-studying, and getting into IT, whichever study route you choose.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff