Newbie, needs help

Discussion in 'Software' started by sparkey77, Feb 5, 2009.

1. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Hi all

I’m new to computers so please bear with me, I’ve a old pc running XP professional. The problem is just before the desktop would normally open after boot process the blue screen of death briefly flicks up then goes to the screen allowing you to access safe mode, I’ve tried repair via recovery disk to no avail, and removed last few programs/drivers installed. I want to wipe the hard drive clean and start again, how do I do this from safe mode or CMOS /BIOS as these are the only areas I can access. I’m guessing this may be a long way around but I’m studying for my A+ so it would help me to know this process anyway.
    Apologies for possibly not explaining things very well.

Cheers :D

Certifications: MCDST & Network +
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I'm assuming you have a XP pro CD.

Put CD in you drive.

Restart the pc and enter the bios.

Change the boot settings in the bios to use you CD/DVD drive as 1st boot, an save the settings.

It will then say press any key to boot from CD.. so do that.

then follow the prompts.

You will obviously lose all data and programs you currently have.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Hi
    Did all of that before posting question, everything went well with install/repair no obvious problems, but the same problem keeps occuring, tried 3 times, it's why i thought wiping the hard drive and starting again would be the best answer.
    Thanks for reply though, if you have anyother suggestions keep them coming.
    Cheers again:D

4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Do you know what the BSOD error is?

Restart and press F8 after the bios and before the windows logo appears (with the progess bar under it). and select disable system restart after failure. then the BSOD will not disappear.

let us know the error.

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Don't choose the repair option.

Instead, when you're prompted with which partition to install Windows to, delete and format this partition (so you're presented with un-partitioned space), then install your OS there.

PS - If you try this and it doesn't work then it's more than likely your hard-drive is buggered and you need a new one.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

You have now reached the limits of my knowledge, however following your instruction the BSOD say's
    stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf74A2174, 0xf7c80D3c, 0xF7c80A38) hope that's the correct info, also mentions BIOS update, driver updates etc.

Cheers

7. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Hi Qs

Also tried that, it got to the delete partition part but gave the impression it was looking at the recovery cd not the hard drive as it only had small number of Mb (sorry cannot remember amount) not the 160Gb the hard drive has, I got confused and gave up with that approach. If I did the delete partition option at that point would i screw anything else up?

Cheers

8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

What do you mean mentions Bios update? Did the PC have XP on to start with or have you installed it after.

Try what Q's said. don't repair the installation, but delete the partition and create a new one.

9. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

That might be the problem, the partition you are trying to install on is too small.

10. Qs

Quick techy lesson:-

A partition is basically a set amount of space on a drive. You have have up to four partitions per disk. Your PC provider (hp, dell etc) may have created a partition on your hard-drive which is used in the event of a recovery.

We need to know the different partitions you have available and their sizes.

You need to reformat the partition that isn't your recovery partition and attempt to install Windows on it.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

The update BIOS was on the BSOD above the error codes as a possible cause, along with driver updates etc.
    I am at the delete partition screen and I have a unpartitioned space of 152625MB, which as you said does seem very small so I have no idea what it's looking at, I'm totally confused.

12. Qs

152625MB is 150 ish GB (the majority of the un-used space on your hard-drive)

That's where you need to install windows to!

Do the following:-
    • Create a partition in this space and then format said partition using NTFS.
    • Then install Windows and follow the prompts. :)
    Qs

13. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

that sounds fine for 160gb. create a nw partition. look here, it sounds similar to what you discribe.

14. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Right, I think I’m getting there, a final (hopefully) question, what size partition would you recommend or can I just leave it as is, one partition of 150GB and create others once i'm back into XP. I must add your patience with novices Big_nath and Qs is great.

Thanks

15. Qs

It's entirely up to you. As long as you format it with NTFS then you can expand it later if you wish.

I'm one of those people that like one huge partition though (mainly cause I have a lot of stuff). There are pro's and con's to each, but meh, that's what I'd advise.

Qs

16. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

I'm pleased you said that because I took a guess a went with on big one and am now 65% through formatting so would have been a bugger to start over.
    Thanks again for all the help people, hopefully all goes well from here.
    I'll be back if it all goes t**s up.

Cheers

17. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Good news, let us know how it goes.

18. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Everything went well the system seems to be running fine now, except for the @ key and the " key have switched, very odd but I can live with that at least it works. Thanks again, could not have done it without the help from the forum. :D

19. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Maybe you need to change keyboard to UK?

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you need to click start > settings > control panel > Regional and language options and set everything to English UK

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?