Newbie Help Required With Registration Basics

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by kudos, Mar 8, 2010.

1. kudos

kudos New Member

Hi,

I've decided to do the A+ exams and found a local college that is a PearsonVue testing centre - so far so good.

Problem is, both the college and my mate, who has done three of the exams, have told me that the first thing I need to do is register with the CompTIA site.

Many hours of frustration later I still cannot find a way to register as an individual with CompTIA. There's a Corporate membership for Schools/Organisations etc but seemingly no way to register as an individual.

So how do I get my CompTIA member number? I'm totally confused!

Do I even need to get one?, or can I just register with PearsonVue and somehow magically they will allocate me a CompTIA member no.

Everyone is telling me to register with CompTIA, but there is no mention of having to do this on their website?!?

Please can someone give me some guidance about who I am supposed to register with.......!

Many thanks,
    Kudos

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look here

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. kudos

kudos New Member

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply, yes I've looked at this page many times now. I presume you are referring to this part of the FAQ?

How do I get my CompTIA CareerID?
    You are assigned a CompTIA CareerID number when you schedule your IT certification exam. Your CompTIA CareerID number will be on your exam score report.

I would just love someone to confirm that you do not need to register with CompTIA first, because both my college and friend who has done the exams have told me I should...hence the confusion!

Or are you referring to something else?

I feel really stupid right now, I'm not a stupid guy but I'm being told two different things. Could you please respond with a little specific detail, I would be very, very grateful.

Many thanks,
    Kudos

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The first time you sit an exam via Pearson Vue (the exam host) a Comptia ID will be generated - this will show on the score report. Your friend may be referring to the comptia pro club which would need to be registered with Comptia directly. Once your Comptia ID has been generated, you need to quote this on further exams. This is to ensure your exam history is added to your profile. This is the same for the MS cert's by the way.

Good luck with your certs!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. kudos

kudos New Member

Boycie - thanks so much for clearing this up for me. I do really appreciate it....and yes looking forward to doing my certs!

Many thanks,
    Kudos