Newbie help pls

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by marculos, Mar 31, 2008.

1. marculos

marculos New Member

Hi,

I am just starting to get going with MCDST 271, I have had the book for months only just got round to studying !

Anyway I am after a few pointers if possible, firstly I know the format of the exam is multi choice, which practice test is most similar to the exam ? I recently passed ITIL v3 and exam technique played a big part in passing, format / structure of questions , moch tests etc ..

Also, is it really necessary to know everything in the Microsft Press Books as its a hell of a lot of stuff to remember, I do have a quite a lot of practical XP knowledge too, do I really have to memorise all the command line programs and switches etc etc? I .

I only want to study like crazy for this exam once , any help on best practice would be most appreaciated ...

Certifications: HND / BSc (Hons) Computing, ITIL v3 Fo
    WIP: MCDST
  2. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

I used some exam cram2 books for my DST - provided a lot better examples of the questions, and came with measure up2 tests. The content was a good balance for someone who is familiar with most XP things, it just reinforced the more granular topics.

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Try and remember everything you can, the best way to remember is by doing so if you can get some practicle experience in you should be fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. IIIusion

IIIusion Bit Poster

Hi marculos
    As I have recently passed 271 and 272 here is my advice ... what I would say tho is that there are some very knowledgeable folks on here so this is only my advice and may or nay not be " recommended " :rolleyes:

I worked through the pressbooks but started by really reading through the summary of objectives covered in the exam. ( These are documented on page 2 of the pressbook. )
    I personally found that being an xp user for many years certainly gave me an edge on my learning and found that alot of the material just " fine tuned " my knowledge rather than thought me a whole new idea.
    Obviously there was alot I didnt know , it was these subjects that I tended to focus on , to dig into the detail as I found that once I can grasp a concept then problem solving it becomes more a matter of process and elimination.

When it comes to the exams I found that the pressbook exam cd aside Transcender was pretty spot on for me.
    I do not have varied experience of many others but through speaking to people , alot of feedback highlighting transcender as being quite tough ( in a good learning way ) and very close to the real test in terms of layout and process.

In summary ...

I personally did not learn EVERY detail , but what I did learn was a grasp of EVERY detail ,after all im looking for a new career and cannot afford to do this half heartedly and be found out as only knowing enough to pass an exam.
    I focused really hard on my weak areas and brushed up and trusted my knowledge of areas I felt good in.
    Read the book , break the reading up with knowledgebase and other online reading when ur bored of reading drop in some vids ( vtc , youtube etc ) and utilise every resource around you. ( Forums , Free online Newsletters , cramsession ) There is lots out there and its down to you to use them )

* I totally agree with GBL too ... I cant underestimate how important I think being hands on contributes !!!!
    I was completing every practice senario , running Virtual PC ( great tool If you dont have 2 computers ) to understand the differences between home and pro.

Whatever other feedback you get ill leave you with

Good luck with it and please shout back anytime !!

Paul

Certifications: A+ , MCP , MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  5. marculos

marculos New Member

Hi thanks for the great advice, so the tests which are most like the exam are Transcender tests ?

Certifications: HND / BSc (Hons) Computing, ITIL v3 Fo
    WIP: MCDST
  6. IIIusion

IIIusion Bit Poster

Im my opinion yeah , I have read various threads about exam prep software and I get the impression alot find them to be pitched at the right level interms of content and difficulty level. I have heard of some being quite easy and thus giving a false indication of how good you are as when you then sit the exam to a tougher set of questions u may struggle.

Just my veiw , but I have now passed my last 4 exams first go using the transcender materials.
    ( and alot of hard graft , reading , practicing , reading again , more practice , /loop forever ;) )

III

Certifications: A+ , MCP , MCDST
    WIP: 70-270