Newbie... but going for it!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Slaughta98, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

Hi everyone,

Never posted on a forum before but have been reading posts, reviews & discussions on here for ages!

I have now decided change career from sales and to make my computer hobby a career so am getting my foot on the ladder with the CompTIA A+ & N+... books have just been ordered from Amazon (£56! sweet)... no way am I paying £2800 (Home Learning College)!!! for a distance learning course...

I look forward to any idea's and help anyone has to give!

Wish me luck

WIP: CompTia A+ & N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Yes these distance learning courses can be very expensive, especially when all you really need is the books, some determination and a computer.

Good luck:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck on the studies :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good luck and welcome to the forum :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF & good luck:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

Thank you for all your kind words.

Just ordered Mike Meyers A+ & N+ along with PC Tech Street Smarts...

Does anyone know if these three books alone will be enough to get through the a+ & n+ exam?

I have a fair amount of IT experience from building my own pc's to helping mate's fix these etc but i guess without any actual piece of paper to back me up sometimes it can be tricky :)

Thanks again for all your kind words!

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You may want to think about buying some kind of exam simulation when you think you are getting close to being ready for the exam. There are a number of vendors that sell legit products. Preplogic seem quite reasonably priced.

GL with the studying anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Hello and welcome!

Which edition of the n+ have you bought? I only ask as the current exam is being retired on the 31st July so if your studying from the third edition you'll want to push on quick and get the exam done before then!

Good luck with your studying!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. greenbrucelee

just to add to the above there is always a bit of overlap between the exams being retired so if you booked the exam now and selected 2007 objectives you would be able to book the last possible date for taking the exam which would be after the official retired time.

Another book to get for the N+ is Network + by David Groth but the two you have ordered for the A+ should do you fine. This is also being updated this year but as I said there is always an overlap before it is gone forever.

11. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

I have bought

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (Hardcover) by Mike Meyers (Author)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cer...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244460458&sr=1-1

&

PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills (Paperback) by James Pyles (Author)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Technici...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244460551&sr=1-1

What are the exam prep materials you mentioned? The Mike Meyers book comes with a CD etc that has got some test bits included? I have also seen that there are a lot of pre-exam tests online to try. I guess even if those exams are outdated they may still offer some experience at taking tests again (its been a while since i left college)

Thanks again everyone for your suggestion/advice, its all really appreciated :)

ps, didnt get the N+ book as there is a new version out soon... A+ first... baby steps and all that...

12. greenbrucelee

those two books are the best for the A+

Be very wary of online exam prep material some can be braindumps which are taken from the real exams and if found using them you can be decertified for life and could end up in a lot of trouble.

Always check with certguard to verify their status.

For practice exams you won't go wrong with www.Boson.com, www.trancender.com and www.preplogic.com

They all cost but you know you are getting quality, personally I would recommend the Boson exams. I used Preplogic and Transcender whrn studying for my A+ but I was lucky enough to be able to review Bosons A+ exam before it was released and can say it's the best of the three mentioned.

A good free site is www.proprofs.com and for free study material you could try cramsessions.

13. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

14. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

Thanks for that advice guys. I didn't know what brain dumps were but have checked it out. Didn't realise that there are so many 'holes' that could easily de-rail a career without even realising it.

I'll defo be sure to keep looking around on here for further advice and tips!

Thank you all again so much!