Newbie! A+ course and exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by Helen., May 17, 2011.

1. Helen.

Helen. Bit Poster

Hi guys, new to this forum.

I've just started a course where I am currently studying for the A+ certification.

I have been given the "CompTIA A+ Certification COMPREHENSIVE 2009 Edition, revised volume 1 and 2 - student manuel." Are there any other books you could recommend? I am a student so I cannot afford expensive books. Free or cheap resources would be great.

Also, my exam is in 4 weeks and i've already been studying for 4 weeks and I do not feel ready in the slightest. I'm going over old stuff and it's like i'm learning it for the first time.

Also, why am I being tought from this book, and in all the practice tests I have taken, about technologies that went out of date 10/20 years ago? It seems pointless as it will never be used.

And speeds, beep codes, numeric codes and the names of all these cables/how many pins they all have and their names... am I really going to get questioned on little things like this in so much detail?

Sorry, pretty nervous about this exam, I know it's a long way away...

Thanksss guys.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: MCTS/MCITP
  2. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Hi Helen,

This book is supposed to be good: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition Exams 220-701 & 220-702: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Meyers: Books

Not sure about all the beep codes, number of pins, etc. I'm sure someone else can help with that....

Good luck!

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF

The most recommended book for the A+ is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 7th edition by Mike Meyers.

You need to know how things started as it will help you understand how the new technologies work thats why you learn older stuff. Plus the fact that you may not get a job in a place where new technology is used. Not every business can afford to upgrade their hardware and operating systems everytime new stuff comes about.

Everyones exam is different you may get questioned on beep codes and you may have a picture of a dimm and be asked is it 240 pin or 184 pin. You just dont know till you take the exam

Good luck on your exams

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Helen.

Helen. Bit Poster

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies! I won't be able to afford the Meyers book, but I may ask around if anyone has one I can borrow. I'm not sure if i'm able to postpone as the exams are all part of one course, giving me an A+, N+ and MCITP, so i think the exams are set dates, which we have already been given.

Any more free or cheap resouces would be great! And exam tips :D

Thanks again guys!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: MCTS/MCITP
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

propofs.com is a free site which is legit. Also check out prof messer as suggested above. BAre in mind that the majority of free sites are braindumps which are illegal so be very careful when using sites on the net that claim to be practice exams.

Always use certguard.com to check the sites url in the braindump search so you dont risk your certification or career.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

mike meyers offers a great A+ book. he makes everything so simple when he writes. He puts things into perspective like the man in the box (CPU) and how the man in the box works. confusing but helps you get a very good visual. one thing i can say about beep codes is that they are almost all different for all manufacturers. The most you should be tested on the exam would be "your computer beeps 3 times at startup and restarts, what should you do first". answer would be "check manufacturers book for listing of beep codes to help determine the problem". thats really all there is about beep codes. one question, two tops.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-680